GUN What does OT think of VLTOR VIS?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Thumper, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

It would most likely go onto a POF Gen II lower.

What about barrels? I am thinking 16". Beyond that I don't know a lot about barrels. Anything to watch out for or companies to avoid?

2. johnson

johnson New Member

What is the rifle for?

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Seems like a general waste of money to me. It looks cool though.

4. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

Nothing critical. Rec shooting. I eventually want to use it for 3 gun competitions but that is a future plan, nothing immediate.

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I'll let you know when chaz sends me mine :mamoru:

:kiss:

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I handled one at the shot show. Kind of cool, but I would not spend the money on one.

I mostly shoot 3 gun so my opinion is heavily biased in that direction...

First you need a good scope. Don't go spending a lot of money on the rifle if you don't already have a decent scope. Most people shoot tactical, because it is the easier division to get into equipment wise. So you going to want a 1x-4x variable power scope. You want it as close to a true 1x as possible. The meopta and trijicon accupoint are what most people are running. I think 1.5x is too much for the close in stuff. You have a much harder time finding the targets as opposed to a 1.1x or 1.25x. Gennerally 4x is the best compromise for the long range targets. Any higher magnification and your bringing you head out of the scope to find the next target.

OK you got it, get a real good scope. Budget $800 but if you shop around you can maybe get a deal around $500 + rings. Get decent rings too or your zero will shift.

Next you have to have good ammo. Don't shoot wolf.

Lastly it's the barrel. For 3 gun you can go short which is great because the rifle is very manuverable. The downside is the run has more recoil, and less fps in terms of ammo. So this set up is usually a 16" light weight or mid weight contor barrel with a carbine or mid lenght gas system. Both of these gas systems have more recoil but the mid lenght is the milder of the two. Just about everyone also runs a 3" compensator also. Really flattens out the rifle in recoil.

The more popular configuration is a 17" - 18" mid weight w/ 3" comp. This will have a mid or rifle lenght gas system. The rifle lenght gas system is the softest. I run the 18" rifle lenght mid weight. I would not mind going to a 17" if I got it as a rifle lenght gas system.

Really don't see many people run the 20" barrels because when you add the 3" comp it is a real long gun. Makes it much harder to swing the rifle and work it in and out of the ports.

The top tier ar barrels for 3 gun are JP and MSTN. Both are very good barrels. If you shoot well enough to take advantage of one this is the hot ticket. If your starting out I'd get a cheaper barrel and shoot the snot out of it while you learn how to shoot an ar in 3 gun. Barrels have a short life of peak accuracy, this is a couple 1000 rounds. You can shoot it more than that of course but you lose some of the accuracy.

For inexpensive you can go 2 routes. Many people just get a bushmaster barrel and be done with it. The barrels are not that bad at all and reasonably priced.

The second option is to get a 20" bull barrel and have a ar barrel smith like www.ar15barrels.com turn it down and chop it to a 18" mid weight.

Final thoughts get a .223 chamber as opposed to the 5.56. It's more accurate though you can't use the mil surp 5.56 ammo which is not a big deal. 223 is a pretty tight chamber, many people who are serious about competition get the .223 wyld which is a better compromise between accuracy and reliability.

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

You'd recommend a variable scope, rather than the long/short setup you have with the red dot canted?

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

First I shoot open class. In tactical you only get one optic though some people run JP's secondary short range irons along with a scope.

It's not just the rifle, if you shoot open class you need a open class shotgun and pistol too. That is a lot of money in equipment.

In tactical you can get by with a fairly standard semi auto shotgun, iron sighted pistol, and a AR w/ one scope.

If you shoot open then you need 3 tricked out guns with a dot sight on each and a scope on the rifle. $$$

Even for a open class rifle many people like the variables because you just have more options. On the close range hoser stuff I crank my scope to 1x and use the dot or the scope for different stuff. Sometimes I like 2x for medium range targets.

9. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

My advice when building an AR right now is don't settle for anything less than exactly what you want. Nothing you order is going to be in-stock and it will take forever to get all the stuff. You probably won't be able to buy an AR 1 year from now either. So just get what you want.

A couple points from above.

Don't go to AR15barrels - there's a stickied thread at arfcom http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=109&t=492845

Barrel blanks are made by only a handful of manufacturers and due to diminishing returns you have to pay a lot to get an ever decreasing level of improvement. Though generally you get what you pay for. For a first barrel a White oak armorment or even a RRA is probably as crazy as you want to go. Get a wylde chamber or variant thereof as shooting milsurp will lower your costs. A WOA will run around $250 plus bolt. Up from there is a noveske or one of MSTN, rainierarms, etc which is about $100 more.

That said I've got a VIS, and a noveske 18" spr on the way (or on back order). When you look at the cost of a billet upper, rail, etc. it's about $150-200 more for monolithic sexyness. I would advise adding up the total cost of the build before ordering anything, you may find that having MSTN, Noveske, Denny's guns build it for you, break it in, and garentee it's not fubared, may be worth it.

I also picked up a break

[​IMG]

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well maybe it's because I'm local to Randal aka ar15barrels. I've gottne my stuff in 3 days or while I wait. He's really a nice guy and we shoot some of the same matches. The barrel thing is a side project as he has a day job.

I work in the industry too, it's a tough bussiness.