What does OT think of the Audi A4 quattro? (B5)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ACLdestroyer, May 26, 2004.

1. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Just curious, what does everyone think about Audi A4s? I've been a big DSM guy prior to now, but I just sold my 97 GSX for $13,800.00 and I'm leanin towards gettin a 97-99 A4. Basically I'm lookin for a good mildly modifiable Daily driver to get me to the Mountain and back in the winter
    (for snowboarding.)

Does Audi have any major short comings as far as stuff like crankwalk or whatnot?

Also, would yall recommend the 2.8 V6 or the 1.8T, for reliabile/power?

2. freeskiwp

freeskiwp New Member

hey ka24, im in the middle of buying a 98 1.8t quattro. There are alot of reports of these cars having electrical gremlins. Although it seems to me like most of the people saying shit like that hear it from a freind who knows some one who has one. Personally i think the 1.8t is much more upgradable for power than the 2.8/ In stock form the 1.8t is pretty mild. 150hp and 155tq i beleive. But just a simple chip works wonders. Most chips advertise about 50hp increase and 80 ft. lbs of torque. Some chips to look into are giac and apr. I havent heard any reports of crankwalk like on those dsm's, but the timing belt has been known to cause some issues, it is recommended theyare changed around 60k miles. Other than all that, they look sweet, they ride nice, and the interiors are pimp. good luck.

3. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

4. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

5. Hegemon

Hegemon New Member

I owned (before crashing) a Passat 2.8 V6 and definately preferred it over the 1.8T model (the engines are the same between this generation of VW/Audi). If you're going to mod it, go for the 1.8T, otherwise stick with the V6. Also, do not mix quattro, automatic, and 1.8T. So slllllllllow

6. Observer

Observer Guest

7. wnut

wnut Guest

buy mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1.8t | manual | go fast bits | cargraphic | rieger | DTM Kreuz | recaros | leather | more junk...

8. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

I can attest to this.

9. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

Nice cars - but :werd: to the quattro/auto/1.8T mix - don't do it. Just get a manual one instead, the tiptronic sucks.