What does OT think of the 2007+ Tahoes?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by HSTexan, Aug 9, 2009.

1. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

So I'm about to finish up college, possibly start a masters program and I'm at the point in my life where I think my current car (1995 Supra) just can't cut it anymore. I've had to deal with moving stuff lately, which means borrowing a car, and leaving mine with them.

I can't carry anyone or pretty much anything in the Supra, my car as of now is low enough that most people don't know how to drive it (especially around hilly NW Arkansas), so when I borrow someones truck or something to move stuff I always fear it will come back with a massive exhaust leak or something. Fear became reality and this last week it seems it developed a little larger of an exhaust leak (need to get the DP fixed anyway) when I had to trade cars with someone.

The gas mileage isn't too big of an issue because on an AFC is netting me about 200-230 miles on 90% of a tank. Most of all though, my parents are also about to move from Granbury to somewhere around Dallas, which means emissions testing (car is registered with them). At this point in my life I think I'd rather not have to deal with trying to get the car legal once a year or having to pay someone off.

I've been looking at the newer style Tahoes a bit. The interior is a big improvement over the older style. The interior seems very nice on the LT and LTZ models, and from what I've read the 4WD 5.3L versions are flex-fuel engines so I can fill up with E85. On top of that I've heard that the engines shut down 4 of the cylinders at cruising speeds, which would help a lot since I do A LOT of highway driving. They either come with a removable 3rd row or not, which leaves a lot of space for things, and they can tow a heck of a lot.

Anyone here own one or have experience with them? Any maintenance issues I should be concerned about or look for. Certain things (models/options) to avoid that cause problems?

Thanks for any input

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

First, don't believe what you hear about the cylinder deactivation (Active Fuel Management/Displacement on Demand). It really does NOT make much difference at all in terms of fuel mileage. I actually custom tuned mine so the deactivation is turned off (permanently in V8 mode) and I saw not one bit of difference in MPGs.

Yes, they do run flex fuel, but the cost about balances out since the mileage drops while burning E85 vs. regular gasoline. To me, it's not worth it to run E85 with that being the reality.

3. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

Any issues with reliability or maintenance?

4. deanh8

deanh8 New Member

I have heard nothing about good things from the new Tahoes.

5. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

I hope that was supposed to say nothing but good things

6. Jroc

Jroc New Member

I love the new tahoes and planning on getting one soon.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd:

There are a few minor issues like the power window actuators failing on the 07 and 08 models, and some early 08s had problems with leaking steering racks, but past that there aren't any major problems to speak of with them. Overall I'd say more people are problem free and love them than have issues.

I don't have a Tahoe, but I have a 2008 Sierra Crew Cab pickup with the SLT interior and 5.3L FlexFuel V8... it's basically exactly what you'll get in a Tahoe, except mine has a bed instead of an enclosed cargo area. I've had zero problems with my truck aside from a lose door sill trim panel that was replaced under warranty when I had maybe 500 miles on it.

8. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

What kind of gas mileage are you getting with it?

Also how does a the Tahoe compare to the new Toyota Sequoias?

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

Toyota :mamoru: There's realy no comparison IMHO.

As far as my gas mileage, my truck has the towing package and 3.73 gears.... a Tahoe would have something more along the lines of 3.42 or 3.23. With the tall gears and trying to drive economically, I'm getting 14 or so in town, 17-18 highway. However if I let my foot get heavy it can drop to 11 in town, 14-15 highway.

10. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

My Dad's Silverado with the 3.73 LSD says it's getting 16mpg average. It's a pretty nice truck over all. I just dont like the big wheel wells and boxy fenders. I like the new Tahoes but my favorites are the 2000-2006.

11. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

. the design of the new tahoes is :bowdown: as well