GUN What does OT recommend for a first gun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ACURA TL-S, Nov 9, 2004.

1. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

I am looking at either a 9mm or a 40cal. Most likely a 40cal. I want it for both protection and sport. Weight is not really a factor as it will most likely be in the house or the car. I am looking to spend somewhere between $500-750. I don't especially want a 1911, just because of the single action. I was thinking maybe an HK, Sig, or Glock. OT, guide me.

2. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

I'd reccomend a .22 for a first gun to be honest.

3. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

I would go with a Glock...the main selling point for a Glock to a person who has never owned a gun before would have to be how easy it is to maintain and clean. Glocks are famous for their ease of disassembly, cleaning and maintaining.

HK, Sig, and Glock are all great guns...just shoot all of them and see what you like best.

Good luck!

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:werd:

except 22 isnt so great for personal protection, though some guy on OT carrys a P22 like a fucking retard :ugh:

5. oakie

oakie my ninja.

but if a glock doesnt point well for the user, its as worthless as a doorstop and can result in a bad rap from the buyer.

go to the gun range, rent the guns you have listed, fire them all. close your eyes with each empty gun, point naturally, and then open your eyes and see how close to on-target you are with a natural point.

once you have the one selected, go to the gun store and buy it.

6. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Rent and try out.

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You live in Memphis. Buy a Glock (17 or 19) and go take all the basic classes offered by Tom Givens at Rangemaster.

If this is your first gun as you say, training is just as important as what you buy. Tom's defense classes are VERY good and you are lucky you live so close to his school.

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

HK USP 9mm

9mm = cheap surplus ammo = you'll shoot more because its cheap

9. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Any Glock chambered in 9mm. Easy to learn on, easy to clean and maintain and dirt cheap to shoot.

10. spartan

spartan Guest

This is your best option. Find someone/someplace that will let you borrow/rent guns in the range that you are looking at. Take them out, shoot them, and see how they feel in *your* hands.

It is more important that the gun you have points naturally for you, all the controls are in the right place for your hands, and that you enjoy shooting it. The sight system should match you eyes well also, which may require adjustable sights.

I like the glock subcompacts for carry, but for range use and more than a few magazines worth of practice, and my hands are start to throb. There are ways to tame this recoil with such things as hogue grips or shooting gloves, but I would rather enjoy a pistol right out of the box and make it better. Why make an ok gun good when you can make a good gun great?

Also, when you decide on what you ultimately want in a gun, look around at your local gun shops and see about buying used. Most reputable gun shops sell items that will function as new for a decent discount when used. Just know what you are looking for and find out what the common problems on them are so your can disassemble it at the shop and have a look around. Also, ask to see a bore light and check out the bore of the weapon and make sure there is no pitting or rust of any kind. If it needs a good cleaning, that is ok, and you may be able to negotiate $20-30 off of the price (the normal rate a gunsmith charges for a good cleaning). If in doubt, don't buy it, or ask the resident gunsmith to take a look at it, if the shop has one.

Guns are a lot like cars in that once you take it out of the store, you lose money on it, unless it becomes a collector's item for some reason. Buying used, almost all the depreciation has gone out of that item and it will hold its value for a good long time, dependent on market conditions.

11. This is true, but the .40 ammo cost the same a 9mm. Either way I had a Glock 22 in .40 and loved it.

12. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

Get a Springfield XD in 9mm. The 4 inch service model is small enough to carry for protection... but big enough for target shooting and great for IDPA. It's a very affordable, reliable, well built gun. I think you'll find it'll fit your hand better than a glock also. But like everyone else said, rent as many as you can to find which one you like best. Just make sure the XD is one of them.

13. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

.40 doesn't cost the same as 9mm. On average .40 runs about 50% higher than 9mm, and .45 runs about 100% higher than 9mm.

14. spartan

spartan Guest

Unless you are reloading your own, at which point it costs +/-$1 of 9mm depending on component choice/sale prices.

15. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

HK USP 9mm Standard

16. I dont know hwer eyou are buying your ammo, but you are getting reemed:bigthumb:

17. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

.40 does usually cost ~50% more than 9mm. Take just one example, WWB at wal-mart. Value pack of 100 9mm: $10.96. Value pack of 100 .40: $15.96. So I guess it's more like 45%.

18. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Where are you buying ammo where they all cost about the same? I don't think his numbers are too far off.

19. spartan

spartan Guest

Nor do I. Though, in my are, .40 and .45 are closer in price, where as 9mm is half the price of either.

Even with a sale price, buying American Eagle (the cheapest commercial ammo), the best price I have gotten on .40 and .45 is $9 a box, whereas Magtech 9mm can be had for $5/bx all year long, 3 for $10...

20. at walmart. i go in and get the umc for just fuckin around and the 9mm is the same as the .40 maybe like a couple bucks difference. not much

21. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

Glock 17

22. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Sig P226 , nice big frame easy to hold and really fun to shoot.

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

buy a Ruger and have money left over to buy a .22 rifle :)

24. Otsego Hive

Otsego Hive Wait, what? We're being swapped?

keep in mind that if you rent guns, they may not be a great example of what that gun can do. Some range guns aren't cared for/maintained properly and will shoot poorly. So keep that in mind while renting guns @ the range. It's still your best option to try them out though.

25. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd