what does it take

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YesterdaysGone, Dec 5, 2005.

1. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

to have a web server in my house? like a machine i could host other people's websites on? do i need t1 or better? do still pay someone for bandwidth? who would i connect to? i never have understood this part of the internet...

2. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

you would need a high speed connection with good upstream t1 is pretty slow by todays standards. you would also need a computer running iis or apache. you could run a simple web server off of a dsl or cable modem, but it wouldn't be fast enough for anyone other than a 56ker to be impressed.

3. YesterdaysGone

im looking for something a little bigger than this. web-hosting, ftp (server at home) something higher than t1 (t3?) fiber optic seems out of price range.
    more specifically, do i just need a high speed connection to a DNS? pay for dns service, buy domain name, and have my server here? could i use this as my regular connection as well? or would i not be able to access the internet thru this?

i dont uderstand who the bandwidth runs thru on this type of system... i cant imagine all of the load connecting thru the DNS, so where would i connect my high speed connection? to a NAP? a backbone?

4. stoliohranj

well, if you're honestly planning on running a hosting service you're going to need ds3/oc3 lines.

these run $2000+ per month. there are several companies that rent out ds3/oc-x lines. do a search online. this runs a dedicated line to your house, you get one or more IP's. you register with a domain name service, their dns servers allow for the propogation of your dns entry to other isp's. you can setup whatever you want on your end of the connection. its a real internet connection so when configured with a router properly, you can use it for a regular internet connection.

5. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

I would not jump into this.... I run a server from my house and it's not noticible that it's slower. I say set up a server with what ever computer you have now on whatever line you have now(check you tos to make sure you're not banned from running a server). If you can figure it out, setup multiple pages, multiple user interfaces, etc, THEN think about what you'd need to actually be payed to do it.

6. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

if you want to host send me a server i will put it in my rack for a monthly fee.
    I work at an ISP. Have unmetered bandwidth. 99.5% uptime. all cisco gear in my rack.

PM if you are interested. (that goes for any one :) )

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  7. stoliohranj

a monthly FREE?;)

8. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

whoops!

good catch

fixed.

9. YesterdaysGone

this answers my questions sufficiently... i am not going to do this in the near future, just curious about options. (figured on OC being cost-prohibitive)