MIL What does it take to get into the Army as a helicopter pilot?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Short Bus, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I have no idea, and I'm having a difficult time finding much information.

2. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Yeah, I've noticed that I'd have to do the six week WO course. But being in the Air Force I also have to wonder if the Army would require me to go through their enlisted basic training program as well.

3. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I'm having a look at a .PDF I found that has a description of the different types of questions they ask on the Alternate Flight Aptitude Selection Test (AFAST)... and honestly, it really doesn't look like it's all that much more difficult than the Electronic Data Proficiency Test (EDPT) that I took to get the job I have in the Air Force.

4. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Oh my God... minimum AFAST score is 90 out of a possible 176??? If the questions are anything close to resembling what I've read they'll be I should be able to smoke that test.

5. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

:dunno:

I haven't looked that up... I'm an E-5 in the Air Force at the moment.

6. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

The only thing I'm worried about is my vision. :( I think my uncorrected vision is worse than 20/50 and I don't have the best depth perception. But, I can get LASIK surgery paid for by the Air Force... so perhaps that could be my ticket in.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

You apply for WOFT, not WOCS.

8. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

What exactly do you want to know?

9. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

How difficult is it to get into flight school? ...mostly I want to know about how competitive it is. What percentage of people who get to flight training fail to get through flight training? Do you know anything about the vision requirements? Would they let people in who've had eye surgery to correct their vision to 20/20?

If they make me go through Army basic, I can handle that, no sweat.

What's WOFT? Everywhere on Google it says I have to apply for WOCS (Warrant Officer Candidate School). I seriously doubt I'd have a problem making it through that either.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

It's very difficult to get in, the competition is stiff. I don't know the exact percentage, but I do know that if you have what it takes to actually get there, then you'll have no problem getting through the training because they pretty much baby you through every step, the government spends more money on this type of training than on anything else, they're not going to let you get that far and then wash out, this is why they make it so tough to be accepted. If you've had any kind of eye surgery, you would need a waiver and you would need to be checked by the flight surgeon for depth perception and all sorts of other things. If you don't absolutely NEED surgery, then don't do it, it's simply not worth it. The dirty little secret of the LASIK industry is that 95% of people that go in for LASIK do not end up with 20/20 vision.

WOFT = Warrant Officer Flight Training AKA "high school to flight school," though the nickname is deceiving since most people that apply have some college, at least. You apply directly for WOFT, not WOCS. WOCS is merely a prerequisite to WOFT, just like army basic. You get a complete flight physical, take a number of different aptitude tests, and if you're still qualified then you submit a very extensive packet which takes anywhere from 3-6 months to put together which basically contains everything you've ever did in your life and you need to prove to the board that you would do well as an Army Aviator, it's not uncommon for some guys to go out and get their private helicopter license before applying. If the board likes your packet, then you go through several different board interviews salty Army Aviators that will ask you general questions, want to learn more about you, and try and catch you off guard with several technical questions related to the physics of helicopters, etc.

11. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Blah, depth perception... that's probably where they'd probably shoot me down. :(

12. Accord

Accord New Member

Well that's just one of the things, there's literally a list of a hundred different things they check for that are just eye related. They check for all sorts of crazy things that most people would have no idea about, like the thickness of your cornea's, there are so many disqualifying factors that it's just a waste of time to dwell over any one in particular. My advice to you is to get a checklist of exactly everything they check for that's eye related and go see an independent eye doctor to do a mock exam.

13. brackac

Let me add on to what Accord has said in regards to qualifications. Even though the passing score for the AFAST is a 90. Anything below 110 is considered non-competitive, also unofficially known as a pass/non-select. I scored a 134 on the AFAST. Unfortunately I procrastinated on submitting my packet and ended up being to old. I come from a family of Army pilots, and didn't want to follow in their footsteps. :hs: I wanted to find my own path in life. Which ended up being a dumb idea. :wtc:

14. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

:hug:

15. PlayingGod

PlayingGod New Member

you will have to go through the army basic training if you are coming from the af, from what i was told.

16. brackac

Who did you get your information from? The info I got from the Warrant Officer recruiting team is that once approved a sister service applicant attends WOCS and then WOFT, but does not attend Army basic training.

17. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

For regular blue to green, depends on the mos they did in the AF. The more combat oriented jobs are direct transfers.

18. brackac

This isn't the regular blue to green program.