What does it mean when a woman says "whatever?"

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Rather than turn this into a rant about men = logical and women = emotional, I'm going to relate an experience that I've seen many times before.

- I am arguing with a woman (usually a gf)
    - She tries to prove her point
    - I provide logical evidence as to why she is wrong and I am right
    - She says "whatever."

(I KNOW this seems to not be the right way to deal with women, but I SWEAR that for the life of me I cannot think of a way to argue other than basing it on logical presentation of facts)

Does "whatever" mean "you're right and I don't want to admit it"? Or does it mean "I don't want to talk about this anymore?"

The thing is, I ONLY heard it said like this after proving someone wrong.

2. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

I think it's alittle bit of both. They wont admit to you being right or them being wrong. It's a proven point.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I think it means you won't be getting any tonight.

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

It can mean many things. It can mean "ok I don't care anymore," "fine, you're right," or even "god, you're annoying me, lets just let this discussion be done." All depends on the situation and what kind of girl she is (is she easy to run away from confrontation, does she give up easily, is she easy going, etc.

5. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Active Member

hmmm, I couldn't find "whatever" in my womanese dictionary, but I'm pretty sure it means she's pissed you get no sex after that.

6. lauren

lauren Active Member

shes immature.

as in, you've backed her into a corner, and it's easier to just disregard what you're saying than provide a counter argument. most likely, b/c no valid counter exists, and she doesn't want to admit defeat.

if it was a matter of agreeing to disagree, or annoyance or something else, she would likely just say so, and not 'whatever'.

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Here's where I have issues.

It's not about being "stuck in my way." It's about the truth.

If I am wrong, show me why I'm wrong. I am arrogant in arguments BUT I am not close minded and I will admit when I'm wrong, even months after the fact (if I find out I was wrong about something I was arguing with someone about, I will tell them. I've been known, in conversation, to be like "hey, remember 3 months ago when we were arguing about x, y, and z? Well, I found out you were right because blah blah blah").

So if I'm wrong, show me how I'm wrong. Disprove my evidence. Show me how my "proof" is incorrect. Logically construct a counter-argument.

But the thing that drives me nuts is (not trying to be sexist here) most women cannot do this. They argue based on emotion. If they feel that the sky is black and white polka-dots, they will base an entire argument off of this.

Me: The sky is blue
    Her: The sky is black and white polka-dots.
    Me: What? Why do you think that.
    Her: Because it is.
    Me: Are you sure? I think the sky is blue because light blah blah blah refracting off of atmosphere blah blah blah visible light spectrums blah blah blah
    Her: The sky is polka-dotted. Why are you such an asshole?
    Me: Can you disprove anything I said? Do you have any evidence to suggest that you are correct? (I swear I will ask this in an argument)
    Her: Whatever!

WHAT THE FUCK?

I am seriously the calmest person in the world in an argument. I wish I could find a woman to have a mature, adult argument with and not this fucking immature emotionally-driven bullshit.

That color of the sky thing was just an example, but it's the same formula every single argument I've had with just about every GF has followed. It could be about anything:

She might say something, I would misinterpret it, she'd get pissed, and I would explain why I misinterpretted what she said. I would explain my thought process, calmly and maturely, once I realized why I misunderstood something. Is that not the right thing to do? When someone misunderstands me, I give them a chance to explain what happened (so I know they weren't blatantly being an asshole). Once they explain, I usually see what the problem was, so I see their point and I'm not upset because I see where they were coming from and that it wasn't intentional. Usually we end up laughing about the misunderstanding later. A mature woman would say "oh, I see why you might have thought that." A mature woman would not have gotten pissed off at the misunderstanding in the first place. Mature people do not get pissed BEFORE they know the entire situation. Mature people do not counter evidence with "whatever."

edit - looking at old emails between my ex and me triggered this thread.

8. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

I say it whenever I just want the discussion/fight to end. Be it his fault or mine...

9. SlvrCivLT621

SlvrCivLT621 New Member

it means she's pissed

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Well I know she's pissed :)

Am I the only person who thinks proving the truth is more important that who is right? I don't care if I'm wrong as long as I learn what is correct. Unfortunately an argument like this takes two mature people, so it doesn't happen often.

11. SlvrCivLT621

SlvrCivLT621 New Member

sometimes you just have to let it go

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I don't mind letting a stupid argument go, but sometimes the argument is something related to the fundamental nature of the relationship so you can't "let it go."

13. fray

fray New Member

I know it was just an example, but I think it shows a point, so I'm going with it.

In some cases you know you are right and she knows she is right and you keep fighting for your point and telling her she's wrong even when she knows she's right and she's just tired of hearing it, so you get the "whatever". As the others said, she's just done with the argument.

Like your example above, perhaps you're both right, or at least, just thinking about it from different viewpoints. Think of how frustrated you get when you know you're right and she keeps fighting with you. Annoying right? She gets that way too if she knows she's right...then you get the whatever.

Of course, if she's just being completely outlandish, then maybe she's just immature. :p

14. Coottie

Ibexcitaboyruinsanotherthread

15. fray

fray New Member

yeah...cripe. he's all over.

16. Coottie

lol like a fungus

17. demosnat

demosnat New Member

It usually means "You are not going to be swayed by my repeating my argument, and I have decided its not worth the effort to sway you in this instance anyways"

It doesn't mean she agrees, just that she's tired of the fight.

For instance, say you and I had above mentioned fight

Me: The sky is blue
    Her: The sky is black
    Me: What? Why do you think that.
    Her: Because it is. It simply Looks blue When the sun is hitting the atmosphere, it's black when the sun is absent, thus, the sky is black.
    Me: Are you sure? I think the sky is blue because light blah blah blah refracting off of atmosphere blah blah blah visible light spectrums blah blah blah
    Her: The sky is black. Why are you such an asshole, that you can't respect what I believe to be the truth? Why must you insist that you have a monopoly on truth?
    Me: Can you disprove anything I said? Do you have any evidence to suggest that you are correct? (I swear I will ask this in an argument)
    Her: (internal voice: of course I can, and I believe I have, however, your not going to believe me, as you are of the unshakable opinion that you are always right) External voice:Whatever!

18. demosnat

demosnat New Member

In above thread obviously "me" is you and "her" is still her, but with what she may have meant to say, keep in mind not everyone is able to express what they actually mean in the heat of a debate

19. xinster

xinster New Member

too late. i see his ass several minutes away. he's already ruined my day.

20. xinster

xinster New Member

i dont think u should look too much into it. it means fuck this/you. For most arguments its not important who wins, its not like your integrity is obliterated if you want to end a silly argument. If the girl pulls an annoyed whatever, imo the next screen you'll see is Insert More Coins

21. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

usually in that situation, when I say "whatever" it may mean :

--I don't care anymore
    --end of discussion
    --I still think I'm right, but I'll let you believe you're right just to shut you up

22. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Its not what your saying, its how your saying it. If you talked to me like that I would probaly call you a pretentious fuck and be done with you too.

23. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

:bowdown::rofl::bowdown::rofl::bowdown::rofl::bowdown::rofl::bowdown::rofl:

If I didn't know better I'D SWEAR ON MY LIFE that your name is Nathan and that we've been dating for 4 years... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This is our #1 fight. Yes. We fight about fighting. No matter how the fight starts, it always goes back to him thinking logically and me thinking emotionally and it taking 45 minutes (on a good night) to get the conversation to a place where we are FINALLY on the same page. Its stupid and funny and enraging and amusing- all rolled into one ridiculous package.

In our experience, we are both stubborn and intelligent have the tendency to get into some pretty deep discussions. He, however, is much better at thinking on his feet and is VERY pragmatic. I am not. I am driven by my emotions and can get very passionate. I am also HORRIBLE when it comes to backing up my viewpoint with facts- I'm all feelings. You can see how this causes a problem...

When I say "whatever" (actually, it's usually, "Fine, you're right- is that what you want to hear?") It's because:
    1. I feel like I'm not being heard and I personally make it a point not to explain myself to someone who isn't listening to me anyhow.
    2. I feel the argument has past the point of rationality because we're just drilling the same topics over and over again and I am overly sick of talking about it.
    3. I feel like we're just being stubborn and have gotten wrapped up in trying to prove our point.

This is one of those fundamental differences that you either accept about the other person and create an effective way to communicate or you decide its not worth the work and walk away. There's a bit of compromise, but it's more about personality than rationale. You'll either find someone that you don't mind getting into a nice healthy scrap with or you'll find someone who thinks more along the same lines you do.

:wiggle:

24. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

I would take it to mean she is aware of your argument, but she is choosing to not accept it as her reality.

25. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

You cannot win an argument with a woman.

Ever.

They don't follow the rules of arguing.