SRS What does it mean if a person lacks emotion throughout life?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CaliforniaPlaya, Mar 23, 2007.

1. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

I've noticed this in myself for a while now. My emotions seem to be pretty 'flatlined' on a daily basis. There aren't many things that make me happy, sad or otherwise. People tell me I'm too serious. I think I've always been that way though. When I was a kid and I'd hang out with people my age, I would get told a lot that I looked and acted older than the other kids I was hanging around with. I think part of that was me just being 'serious', whatever that means. Well, I'm far from being a kid now, but I still get told that I'm too serious and I never smile. Anyone else ever feel like this?

2. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

do you spend a lot of time alone?

3. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

:werd:

I am the same exact way. I can go a whole day with just a straight face. I was once in a grocery store and an elderly lady said that I'd look much prettier if I smiled :hs: I was shocked and that statement she said to me, a total stranger, has had a huge affect on me.

I mean, I barely let people see me when i'm happy or sad, or just feeling down. People don't know whether I'm being sarcastic or serious. But I spent a lot of time by myself as a kid and had to do grown up things very young...so I guess I matured quicker and things don't phase me as much

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

It's been shown in scientific studies that the simple act of smiling actually can change your brain chemistry. So perhaps just force yourself to smile and see if it help....I don't mean just once, make a conscious effort to smile throughout the day...see how you feel at the end of the day.

SJ from what you've previously posted, it seems your family has a lot to do with you hiding or supressing your emotions. Unfortunatly it sounds like they can be quite cruel at times. Hope things are going ok for you.

Personally, I smile a lot because I like to. I like to make eye contact with someone with either a blank look on their face or a frown and just smile and see what happens. Usually they smile back. If they don't then often they just look away....many times tho, this is just the initial reaction and they turn back around and smile at me. Then there are some that simply refuse no matter what.

I don't care...I smile beacause I like to not to get a response.

5. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Have a cold shower, awaken, live from moment to moment aware of your existence and how you are being perceived externally.

Fake a genuine smile, with your eyes and everything.

Look it at like this man.

We are desensitized, big time.

Look at the children in Africa, with nothing.

I could throw a moldy bun out of my window and into the dirt and they would fight over it.

A dirty towel in my bathroom would be a kings robe to them.

We live like emperors, and humans become... desensitized. Watching violence on TV, repeatedly stimulating the five senses... makes you feel... dead.

Spirituality is one way out. Trying to profoundly respect the air I am allowed to breathe.

Just... compare... be happy with what we have, starve yourself of that dulling stimulus. Do something new, get a nice massage, go work out, try yoga, learn Mandarin. Live!

It isn't as easy as said but... just do it!

6. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Older = More Serious = Seen it all, bored = Desensitized!!

7. Coottie

Totally agree...well said.

8. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

Yep, but not sure which came first. Don't know if I feel this way because I spend a lot of time alone or if I spend a lot of time alone because I feel this way.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

experience more.

Maybe you're living in a shell and just live a very routine and uneventful life, because for whatever reason you've made it that way (consciously or subconsciously). Get out and do more and your emotions will flow heavier.

10. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

i'm pretty stoic myself. and i have experienced so much in life.

11. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I spend more time pretending to have emotions than actually having emotions. Very few things actually make me happy.

12. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Is it just that you don't feel happy or sad or do you lack all emotions? Do you feel love or empathy towards others?

13. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

yes, you're right :hs:

things are getting better though...I'm standing up for myself more

Thanks love :wavey: :love:

14. 7960

7960 New Member

A person who shows NO emotion is, to me, more scary than someone who is overly emotional.

15. Coottie

That's good to hear. Hopefully they'll respect this and not be so mean to you.
    :love:

16. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I think I feel too much emotion. It's so overwhelming that I can't express it. Sort of like when someone dies and you go into shock, not showing any emotion but inside there's a lot going on

17. rfh625

rfh625 New Member

i also lack emotion so to say. im bored with my friends, girls make me happy but in my current situation i have been on an off with them. and right now, on a friday night, i am an attractive 18 y/o and a senior in high school, im alone at home depressed. i live in a beat area, and i smoke a ton of pot and drink to entertain myself. but to stay on topic i have always been very mature for my age, i thought it was a good thing but i am turning from a cool young kid that knows a lot, to a depressed piece of shit.

18. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Basically its the infamous tunnel vision, an emotional person can put themselves in another persons shoes. If someone cries, they can cry along so to speak. Its important that you'd be like a castle gate closing yourself to bad people/things/events and opening yourself up to good people/things/events.

So how to become a more emotional person? What matters towards emotions is that you are able to tune into the person/object and align yourself on the same frequency. Example:

You come downstairs, your mom says goodmorning, you'd say goodmorning, how are you doing today? Your mom answers, fine,sad,depressed,glad or any given thing. Then try to imagine what its like to feel that way. That way you tune in a couple of times a day towards what other people feel, and this is called having emotions.

19. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Uh, to each his own I guess. I've saved people from burning buildings, helped deliver a baby, seen people die, traveled the world, girlfriends, have lots of friends, party, successful job and schooling.... yet I'm as emotionless as a brick. My friends and family know I genuinely care about their feelings and I can be turned to for honest advice, etc. I offer empathy, not sympathy. I was always like this.

Going out and "living" to get emotion I feel is pure bullshit. Seeing people die won't make you want to be sad for someone. Seeing a pretty flower in Africa won't make you more joyous. If you aren't that kind of person, you aren't that kind of person.

I feel being emotionless is more of a win then anything else, as long as you are comfortable with it, for me anyways. I don't get emotionally involved in decisions, can react to dangerous situations more quickly, I stand up for what I believe in no matter what others think of me or my actions, and I feel I have more control over myself then someone that's emotional.

However, if you are worried I start on the ground floor and ask your friends if they view your seriousness as a problem... I mean not just you being serious but maybe you act a little like a prick, I really don't know. I'd sit down with one of those people and ask why they feel that way. If you don't like the way you are, I'd go talk to a therapist or something.

I wouldn't go faking something unless it's really hindering your life. If your friends like you, your family and co-workers like you, then be as serious as a heart attack.

20. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I completely agree. Well put.

21. Tehrod

Tehrod New Member

you need to stop drinking and smoking pot. This is coming from a stoner too.

both are depressants, and taken constantly could cause change in your personality and outlook of life. Kind of like my friend who finally quit smoking and feels a lot, lot better. sometimes it's just not for everyone.

22. Toxygen

Toxygen So it goes

The latter doesnt really matter. You both are alone, and have little emotional output. which came first, chicken or the egg?

I'm the same way, and the last gf I had told me this was partially the reason she left. Also, just finished watching 'shawshank redemption' and the main character says something to the effect that he's always felt a bit disconnected and 'cold' to other people, which is another way of saying emotionless and a bit distant.

I dont know how to change that, and recently i've started thinking that i dont really want to change it. I enjoy my own life a lot more than I do being around other people. I'm not the life of the party, i'm usually not at the party.. you know what I'm trying to say. I am starting to really believe that some of us are just not the joiner type, the 'share in the fun' types. and that's fine with me :wavey:

every wise man/book/myth/ideal begins with the idea that you must "know thyself" first, in order to reach happiness/ heaven/ nirvana/ the flying pie in the sky. You can't do this if all you see is the reflections on everyone else's eyes. that's not you, that's their opinion and idea of you, and frankly, it's irrelevant. follow your own thing!

:wavey: