What does everyone think of Jeep Grand Cherokee's?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by BimmerJustin, Jan 6, 2002.

1. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

Specifically, a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo.

[​IMG]

This one is available for $8,500. My vision of this thing, is with tint, grille/brush guard, side tubes, and a bangin system.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2002
  2. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

If you are going to get a ZJ (pre-99 GC's) get a 98 with the 5.9. :)
    Doesn't seem like you want to take it off-roading, but I have been off-roading with them tons of times and they are quite capable.

3. BimmerJustin

First, I only have about $8k-$9k to spend,so a 98 5.9 is pretty much out of the question.

Regarding off-roading, the car would see it's share of trails, but nothing extreme. So it's capabilities would be more than sufficient for my off-roading needs.

The Grill guard is mainly for when I hit deer. I've hit two in the past month, one of which would have caused no damage whatsoever, had my mom had a grill guard on her jeep. Plus it looks bad-ass.

I really do want the V8, at least the 5.2, but I think I'm gonna have to go with a lower mileage i6.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Good price...what kinda mileage? Personally, I think it would look good dumped on bags...;)

5. BimmerJustin

That one has 80k miles, I'm also looking more actively at a silver one with 69k miles for about the same price.

I don't think a jeep belongs on bags, not big enough. If it were a burban or a tahoe, it would be something to consider, but not this car. My vision of it looks just like this jeep (except without the rally lights, and the roof rack):

[​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

that rig needs about 4 inches of lift to look badass...;)

7. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Well then it sounds like it would be perfect for you.

8. i love the way the new ones look. im jealous, and you can make them look even better with a brush gaurd.

the problem is everyone has them and they are yuppie mobiles. i would say around 80 to 90% of the grand cherokies (more expensive model) out there have not seen a dirt road. what a shame :(

heh thats what its like with most suv's

9. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

At least with Jeeps more of them make it off-road compared to most other brands.

10. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I'd definitely keep the rally lights... more lights = good!

11. the 96 GC would definitly be a good choice. and I wouldn't be calling the 4.0 i6 shabby either. I had a 4.0 in my old Laredo and I have one now in my Wrangler. That engine is VERY capable and very reliable. my only complaint is that short of going to a dealer, its hard to find a CCV valve for it. definitely an excellent choice. :bigthumb:

12. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

My gf's parents have a 00 GC w/ a 4.0 and it's got a good amount of power to it, although I still prefer the smoothness of my Ford 4.0 to it. My dad has a 97 GC w/ the 318 and that thing hauls ass and plows through snow like nobody's business. I'm not a Jeep fan, but I've never been able to knock the GC's.