What does anyone here know about elemental designs subs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, Aug 12, 2003.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I just learned of them today, and they seem like they are all that and a bag of chips. I am very interested in anyones opinions of how good they really sound and any other comments you may have about them. I think I would like to get one of the a series 15's.

2. GSteg

GSteg Member

i had the 2003 15" k-series and it was the best i could find for the price. SPL was damn good and SQ was comparable to many subs that cost over $200. the A-series is comparable to the W7.

3. offthehook

offthehook Guest

i heard really good things about them

4. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

One of the best subs out there for the price. I run an e12a and I couldn't be happier. I contemplated a 12W7 when I was looking around and just took a chance with the eD sub...it paid off. It will hit just as hard, if not harder than the W7 if you're looking for SPL. SQ the eD sub will just barely fall short of the W7 but not by much...overall I'd call it a SQL sub.

I hit a 142.8 in a 1.7 cubic foot SEALED enclosure, SQ set up...in the trunk of my Aurora.

[​IMG]

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

that is a big sealed box for a e12a.

thanks for the input. I plan to get a e15a when I can sell my 2 12W3's.

6. Danno

Definitely bigger than it needs to be. I am going to be building a ported box in the near future. Probably 1.5^3 tuned to 29Hz.

Although I haven't had any problem with the sub in that big of a box yet. Hit's the lows real good and still sounds good. :bigthumb:

7. 04

04 Guest

Do remember to note though guys that a large sealed box is very good for sound quality (usually) there is such a thing as too big though.

The problem, however with going with a large sealed box is that your power handling will drop though.

8. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Is this do to imp. rise :confused:?

I need to get back in to Car Audio like the plague :o

9. 04

04 Guest

Yes and No. The impedence peak at resonance will increase with a larger box, but it does not have to do with the inductive impedence caused by the voice coil.

The reason that a smaller box will have greater mechanical power handling is simple. Think about how much harder it would be to push a little bit of air back and forth compared to a large amount of air. The small box's air acts as a stiffer "spring" so to speak against the woofer. You could likewise imagine that the larger box has a looser spring.

Hope that helps.

10. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Thanks 042801.

I've had many discussions about this before on various forums and actual people.

I'm not the type that reads alot of books but I do research alot of info. I just couldn't explain things well enough to a novice in lamens terms that a person could actually understand ie. myfriend :)

-Dustin

11. Danno

I went with a larger sealed enclosure for that very reason. I put it in it's recommended box (1.0^3) and didn't like the sound of it...the box I wound up using still had the tight bass, but it would go lower too. I've gone mainly for SQ so it fits my needs quite well.