WEB What do you use to create a social network?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by upparoom, Sep 2, 2007.

1. upparoom

upparoom OT Supporter

PHPFOX?

alternatives?

2. sonofsam

sonofsam b0n3r [email protected]

phpfox

3. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

phpfox needs SO much work to look like anything other than just another phpfox install.

you can also use invisionboard's latest version with a few addons to create a decent community thanks to it's awesome new profiles but it takes some playing around too.

4. autox

autox OT Supporter

5. 420am

420am OT Supporter

6. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i think the world is way over saturated by social networking sites. i think there should be more apps that incorporate social networking, but should move away from making social networking the #1 attraction. i mean i already have friendster, facebook, and myspace. how many more networks could i possibly need to join? and if everyone's presence is spread around many websites, well that just defeats the purpose of "social networking" doesnt it? cause how do u network if people are all on different networks???

7. Hoss

Hoss Nah, i had water yesterday

you find a niche where these people could converse, share stories, etc. somewhere where they couldnt before

8. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I think people are taking the idea of social networking and trying to put it into code (ie phpfox). I think this is a bad idea. The idea of social networking is exactly what Hoss described. A place to share, converse about the same things that interest them. Our applications should be designed to share our information, not our information trying to fit into an application.

The whole social networking phenom is crazy. I think people are trying so hard to just make a buck off of the "new hotness" that we are losing the whole purpose of social networking.

:shrug:

/rant

9. RubiconSahara

RubiconSahara OT Supporter

If you're interested in not having to deal with hosting and all that junk, check out www.onesite.com. They have some well known customers and the system has just about everything you could want for a social network. They have a free one you can start with and if it takes off upgrade. I'm working on setting up a jeep network that I hope to launch before long.