What do you use, and what am I missing?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Abraxis, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Last Spring I decided to get the car in shape. I just bought it a few months before that and had just used regular Meguires and wanted to get serious. Here's what I did, tell me what I missed:

-dawn wash
    -clay bar (spent about 2 hours on this, the car is a '91)
    -wash again
    -Blackfire polish
    -BF all finish paint protection (part of the set)

Then I did about 5 more coats of the afpp over the next few months, but I think it stopped improving after about the 3rd coat. I use 3M's quick detailer from time to time, I like it.

Forward to today:
    I was thinking that since it's coolig off that I'd give a carnauba (sp?) a try, since maybe it'll last with the heat down. I'm holding off on starting all over with the clay and polish until Spring again. (Mistake?)
    I'm using P21S, no Harley shops around that I'm aware of.

303 for all rubber and vinyl, I hate the greasy shiny look. 303 is matte and makes your tires look "blacker" due to no reflection.

Microfiber for everything paint finish related.

Am I missing a step? Swirls are starting to show again. Should I start over and add a more abrasive polish than the BF? Use with the BF or instead of?
    Should I be going back to "formula", will I be wasting the P21S if I don't?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

First off, don't Dawn wash unless you are stripping wax to repaint or using Zaino. Period.

You might want to go through the product list and look for swirl removers and use on of those first. Follow with a glaze and then use the P21S.

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Do you think he would need a sealant? At what point would he add that into his line-up? What sealant would you recommend?

4. a red heart

a red heart Guest

im going to be using klasse sealant glaze. its probably only useful if you really realy want that ultimate shine. a lot of cases it will do nothing without proper surface prep.

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I'm still trying to figure out if I need a sealant or not. I'm really religious about waxing every 3 months. I'm leaning towards not using one...

6. Scottwax

As long as you wax every 2-3 months, you don't need a sealant, but a lot of people like the look of sealants (usually very reflective) and the peace of mind of longer protection.

Poorboy's EX is probably the most forgiving sealant since it has some carnauba in it and seems to work fine over other products. I haven't used it long enough to know how durable it really is though.

Car Polishes Final Polish is a great sealant with a very light polish in it. Nice reflections and it looks even better when you top it with S100.

Winner's Choice Anti-Static Polymer Finishing Creme is also a good choice. No abrasives so you need to use a glaze or light polish prior to using. The look is similar to FP and it is pretty durable.

7. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I used the Dawn to remove whatever might have been on the car from before I owned it, and because I wasn't completely sure if it was needed before clay bar and using the BF. Kind of to start from scratch (no pun intended).
    That does bring up another question: if I have BF on there now, and about to add the P21S, when I do my Spring cleaning, should I dawn wash then to start over (as an annual thing) or just use a good cleaner wax? I do like the BF setup, and want to go back to that to get started, but I can't do that until stripping back off the P21S, right? Then BF polish & afpp topped with the P21S again.
    ---------------------
    Cliffs notes: I guess I'm trying to figure out the proper way to start again in the Spring, after using the P21S next week. I feel like I should do more this time for "restoring" the paint, since it is 13 years old.

8. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Like Scott said, there's no need for Dawn wash. Polishes and clay both strip wax.

9. Scottwax

Abraxis-I've never used any Blackfire products, so I really don't know about the proper procedures for applying it and the need to Dawn wash to remove any old polish prior to using Blackfire. As far as I know, only Zaino requires that.

Have you registered at www.autopia.org ? It is a dedicated detailing site and I do know there are several Blackfire fans there who can probably answer your questions. A search in the detailing, autopia university or product discussion forums will probably pull up several threads.

10. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I'm on Autopia from time to time. Great resource and group of people, but sometimes theres almost *too* much information. There's always experimentation to know for sure. :)