What do you think this is? Monitor/TV prob.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Have a HP Pavilion sxxxx series computer hooked to my tv.

Been doing well for 7 months now. Today I get home... start watching some bones and the tv suddenly says "no signal" then bounces back to the video. Did it several times. The 'sleep' on the tv is off. I was using the computer once when this has happened tonight so it's not a 'sleep' setting.

I took the video card out and resat. Still happened. Think I burned up the video card?

It's setup DVI-HDMI.

2. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

What was your video source, downloaded torrents, or DVR'd stuff from the air It's possible that torrent/recording/conversion was fubar, depending on your process.

Otherwise, check all the cabling to make sure nothing is loose. Aside from that, need more info.

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Ok, more info following.

Dl doesn't matter as It has happened while on the desktop.

The computer is a this one :http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...P+Pavilion+Slimline&series_name=s3600z_series

not that EXACT one but in those models. The video card I put in there. It is this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150241

I found some stuff on the XFX site I can try out but I'm not hopefull. It's been working fine for 7 months so unless there was a windows update that changed something (vista) then I'm guessing it won't help anything. I'll try it out tonight.

I've also taken the card out. Cleaned the card, resat it and given the computer better ventilation. Before, it was sitting on carpet. When I took it apart I saw that there are ventilation strips on the bottom and having covered that up I'm guessing caused the computer to run a bit hot. I've fixed that problem but maybe too late.

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

After reinstalling drivers and following every piece of advice from FXF website I decided to bite the bullet and try a different HTMI port on the TV. :( Fixed the problem. :mad: Fucking SHIT. Port went bad after 7 months. (not under warranty) :wtf: well... fuck. I don't know what's going on. I put the cable back in the first HDMI port for kicks and now it's fine. Bad cable maybe? I might need to get a right angle? :dunno:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Bought new cable. Problem fixed. :blue: 7$ fix. :big grin:

6. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Glad to hear it.