What do you think of this potential setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tre003, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Tre003

Tre003 OT Supporter

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You make this post just to piss me off, right? There is not a single component in there that I approve of. It's all fucking crap.

3. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I approve of yours except for the case, motherboard, cd-drive and cpu fan. Not good items.

5. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

The case was not a big deal, but it was listed as an "SLI" approved...the PSU is huge so I didn't want to worry about fitting with mid-towers. Plus, I want a good liquid cooling system to 'fit' too.

The dvd drives are temporary...I'll end up with prolly a blu-ray and Plextors. I just want to get it running for now. I read up on the cpu fan too. It's supposedly pretty good. That's temporary too....I'm looking for a good liquid cooling system.

Any suggestions on a 'good' mobo and liquid cooling system? :x:

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

forget liquid cooling. not neccessary.

It's silly to run an Intel chip and not get an Intel board. I don't care if you can overclock 0.001% better on another board, it doesn't matter. Buy the Intel board.

7. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

As you prolly realized, this is more of a gaming rig with media uses as well. I just didn't want too many fans in the rig since my current box has 6 fans and I think they're loud. Yes, I've replaced all the fans with 'silent' ones. The cpu fan is actually the loudest.

Hence, the liquid cooling...I've never seen one used in person and can only assume it's very 'quiet'. I want to use/build one at least once.

Regarding the Intel board, I already purchased the current eVGA mobo. I think I'll pick up an Intel board for another box I might put together with a quad cpu in the near future.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

liquid cooling is usually LOUDER than air cooling. It's at least AS LOUD.

liquid cooling simply takes heat from the component, and then runs it through a radiator where you generally need a fan to transfer the heat from the radiator to the atmosphere. Zalman has had a few attempts at "silent" liquid cooling, but it doesn't really work well in any case, and flat out wont work at all in high-performance rigs.

Bottom line, water cooling simply isn't worth it.

9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Tre003, this is what I recommend:

Case - The one you picked is obviously low-frills but will do the job just
    fine with a good power supply. $39 shipped
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811164040

Monitor - Samsung 920NW 19" widescreen - $192 shipped - has a $20 rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001100

PSU - Antec True Power Trio TP-3 550 watt - $65 shipped w/5 year warranty
    It's made by Seasonic
    http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4991681

Ram x2 - Patriot 2x 1gb (U.S. made) - $120 shipped
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220091

cpu - Intel E6600 retail - $232 shipped
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003

mobo - Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 - $106 shipped. Do not let the price fool you.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128042

burner - The LG you picked will do fine for you - $38.63 shipped
    http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827136114

That's $792 shipped without the floppy. (do you really need one?), $772 after rebate.
    Do some googling on those parts, and once the dust is settled,
    I'm confident that you'll go with what I posted.

That board will let you do some overclocking. You could easily run it all day at 3ghz with that setup.

10. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

Really?!

I thought it would be so much more quieter. Now, I can imagine the 'pump' creating all the noise. Nuff said then...words of advice heeded. :bowdown:

11. BiGDoGGy4EvEr

BiGDoGGy4EvEr Active Member

What board and ram do you recommend for the QX6700? Havent had a new computer since 2001 so im going all out :bowdown:

12. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

It won't be much quieter because you still need fans to blow across the radiator and you also need a pump to move the liquid through the tubes. And then there's always the possibility that you could spring a leak and short out your gear. Warranty doesn't cover water damage.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

get some Corsair XMS. Budget will determine potential. For example, you can spend $200 for good stuff, or $450 for awsome stuff. They have 3-4-3-9 timing DD2 (wow)

I am a huge fan of the Intel D975XBX2 with a single nVidia GPU.

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

. on the watercooling.

Remember people, no matter how you extract the heat from the CPU, it's still got to radiate into the air eventually. All a watercooling system can do is absorb more energy before it gets heatsoaked -- it can't actually radiate heat any faster than a metal heatsink can, because the air around a radiator is just as shitty of a heat conductor as the air around a heatsink. Under sustained 100% CPU load, any system with a watercooler will eventually reach the same internal temperature as the exact same system with a metal heatsink.

Ironically, it's the people who are most likely to reach sustained high CPU load who are also most likely to buy watercoolers, and because of that sustained high CPU load they are least likely to reap any benefit from a watercooler's ability to avoid quickly becoming heatsoaked.

15. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

I like how you described it. :bigthumb:

16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That depends on the size of the water reservoir. There is a rate of disipation on everything, and I think a decent sized water tank would disipate heat faster than
    it gained it. A cnc lathe has a finite sized coolant tank, but the coolant flowing on
    the tooling will remain cool, no matter how much machining goes on, because the
    heat from the tank is able to disipate faster than it builds up from the heat of the tooling.
    And a lathe kicks out much hotter temps at the cutting tool than a cpu will.

Cliffs: An optimally sized tank (whatever that may be) will not heat up
    to the same temperature range of the heatsink.

17. Create

Create :free at last:

Flat out wrong twice on heatsinks in as many days.

Ponder this one: Why doesn't a car's radiator sit right next to the block?

18. deusexaethera

On a lot of cars, it IS right next to the block, or right next to the exhaust manifold if the car has a transverse engine. Its only saving grace is that the wind hits the radiator before it hits the rest of the engine.

I've posted about this before. Comparing the radiator on a watercooled car to the radiator on a watercooled computer is a non sequitur. On a computer, the airflow is a constant factor, whereas a car's watercooling system radiates some heat at idle, and stores the rest until the car picks up speed and the airflow from the wind can take the heat away. This ability to avoid overheating during short stops is the ONLY reason watercooling is used on cars, because other than that it adds extra complexity and weight to achieve a net gain of nothing.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of examples in the automotive world of two cars with even remotely similar engines that have different cooling systems (which is necessary for a reasonably scientific comparison); the only one that comes to mind is the Porsche 911. If you took a a 911 from the last year that it was aircooled and stuck it in a traffic jam with no cooling fans, it would overheat faster than a 911 from the first year it was watercooled (also with no cooling fans), but both engines would overheat eventually, because THEY USE THE SAME AIR TO ABSORB THE ENGINE'S HEAT.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  19. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

Water cooling has many advantages over air cooling. Let’s start with the basics. First of all, water has a thermal conductivity of 0.6062 W/ (m*K) whereas the thermal conductivity of air is only 0.0262. This means heat can be drawn away from components more efficiently with water. Water also has a much higher specific heat capacity than air (1.0 J/ (kg*K) versus 0.24), which allows the water cooling system to absorb a lot more energy before heating up. Using liquid to cool components allows the heat to be carried to a remote location, usually a radiator where the heat can be dissipated more effectively than with a heat sink. A water cooling radiator works identically to the radiator in your car: coolant is pumped through an array of tubes and fins, and air is blown across this array to remove heat. Because the radiator is mounted remotely, it can be larger than a chip-mounted heat sink, and therefore will be able to cool more effectively.

The radiator or reservoir can vary in size depending on space. Various liquids can be used to alter the properties of water to be more thermally capacitive.

Just did some research on liquid cooling....well, I'll just have to re-evaluate my options during the summer with higher indoor temps.

As always, Thank you gentleman for your educational posts. :wavey:

20. deusexaethera

1. Computer watercooling reservoirs are usually made of plexiglass, which is an excellent insulator.

2. The reservoir more often than not resides inside the computer case, so any heat it radiates will go right back into the system and will have to be captured and exhausted all over again.

That said, you're right, there's no reason why a reservoir can't also be a radiator, but in computer watercoolers, it almost always isn't designed to be one.

21. deusexaethera

This is true; I hadn't considered a size advantage due to remote mounting. Still, there are plenty of 120mm heatsinks on the market, most of which weigh much less than even the lightest watercooler, carry no risk of short-circuiting the computer, and they STILL both use plain old air to dissipate heat. A 120mm radiator will do no better than a 120mm Zalman heatsink, but it WILL cost a lot more.