A&P What do you think of these photos?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by anjego, Aug 26, 2004.

1. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

Just a couple random shots from my neighborhood in Chicago, and a business trip to Chattanooga, TN. Any critiques on composition, lighting, etc, would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(resizing did not treat that one nicely)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

Nice gorilla.

3. anjego

that's in the 4500 block of beacon, ie, right down the street from me :)

4. coma

coma New Member

I love the way you took pic #1 at an angle (sharp upward and left, and how the building's horizontal lines aren't parallel with the pic frame) and relatively close up; it brings out the grandeur of the building. There's nothing more unimaginative than a straight on shot of a building. I would have however included less sky so that the focus would be more on the subject (building).

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

pic #1 Too much building and not enough surroundings. The shot needs something to give it scale.

pic #2. Your best. Nice framing with the trees and the foreground has just enough lawn and shrubbery to give it some perspective.

pic #3. A snapshot. Nothing more.

pic #4 Another snapshot. Too much sky and the composition is lacking.

pic #5 Much better shot of the bridge. The composition leads your eye into the pic, the way it should. A better shot would be at dusk or sunrise when the light is prettier.

pic#6. Almost a good shot. Too much sky and centering the barn in the middle of the shot ruins it. Also, finding another angle to maybe eliminate the wires leading into the barn would help.

All the pics are properly exposed and sharp. Time of day and optimum light conditions are critical in good exterior photos. If you can, revisit some of these places at different times of day and look at how the light changes the features.

6. anjego

thanks for the critiques :bigthumb:

the last 3 i probably won't be visiting again anytime soon... it was on a business trip. the first 3 are all within a mile or two of my house, so maybe i'll re-shoot them. although photo #2 is of someone's house, so i don't want to snoop around too much ;)

7. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

This is more of a question than a critique.

I see that the sky in pic #2 is white. Is this acceptable? How would one go about getting sky blue? I have this problem as well in number of my pictures. I usually lock and recompose (which usually underexposes other areas), any other tricks from the pros?

8. anjego

well, in photo #2, the sun was right behind the house. to get it blue i think you'd just have to shoot at another time.

9. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Exactly. You can always darken the sky by using a graduated ND filter, but it's the time of day and angle that determines the saturation of the sky. Using a polorizing filter will also darken the sky on certain angles.

10. Trev

Trev New Member

the one of the barn is my favorite - such a dramatic contrast between the red and the green. i like it.

11. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

they all look like they were taken standing up/eye level. change it up! other than that they are fine

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

ahhhhhh...the market street bridge and the walking bridge downtown. next time you're down here give me a shout. i live in chattanooga