what do you think about this setup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by teknovin2, Jan 30, 2005.

1. teknovin2

teknovin2 sssssssick

i know i posted this up a few times on OT but i want some serious opinions about the items and if you think i should change anything. i want to keep each part around the same price however if you think there is a better part for the price feel free to let me know. Am i missing anything vital? i had a buddy help me pick all the parts so i just want to make sure im good to go. thanks!

Mother Board:
    MSI "K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI" NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
    Price: $199.00

Processor:
    [already ordered]

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55, 1MB L2 Cache, 64-bit Socket 939 Processor - Retail
    Price: $849.99

Video Cards:
    XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, Dual DVI/TV-Out, PCI-E, Model "PVT45GUD" -RETAIL[font=&quot][/font]
    [font=&quot]Price: $445.00 x2 = $890.00[/font]

Sound card:
    Emu 0404 24/96 Digital Audio PCI Card[font=&quot]
    Price: $99.95[/font]

Hard drives:
    Seagate 7200.8 300GB 7200RPM SATA NCQ Hard Drive, Model ST3300831AS, OEM
    Price: $223.00
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only
    Price: $179.89

Memory:

Patriot Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR PC-3200 w/ XBL Technology - Retail
    Price: $220.50 x2 = $441.00

CD/DVD drives:
    Lite-On 16X DVD Dual Drive, Model SOHW-1633S Black, OEM
    Price: $59.99
    Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5235K BLACK, OEM
    Price: $39.50

Fans and Heatsinks:
    Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Heatsink Only, Model "XP-90" -RETAIL
    Price: $58.99
    Panasonic Panaflo 92 x 25mm Cooling Fan, Model "FBA09A12U-1A" -OEM
    Price: $13.49

Power Supply:
    Antec 550W Power Supply, 24-Pin, Model "TRUE550 EPS12V" - Retail
    Price: $119.00

Case:
    COOLER MASTER Praetorian Black ALUMINUM MID-TOWER CASE, Model "PAC-T01-EK" -RETAIL
    Price: $108.00
    ASPIRE 609 Fan Master Thermal Monitor -RETAIL
    Price: $31.00

Monitor:
    [already ordered]
    DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand

Price: $656.68

Headphone and Amp:
    [already ordered]
    Sennheiser HD650
    [font=&quot]Price: $346.96[/font]
    Gilmore Lite Dynamic Headphone Amp
    Price: $299.00

Speakers:
    [already ordered]

Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Digital Speaker System w/Digital Hardware Decoder -RETAIL
    Price: $279.00

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

I wouldn't buy that processor. It's OEM and doesn't come with heatsink or fan. It also comes with only a 12 month warranty whereas the boxed processor comes with 3 years.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Wow, I officially hate you.

That's a sweet looking system. You will probably need a floppy drive to load windows because windows doesn't recognise the SATA controller without a bit of help, other than that, it looks complete.

4. dijital

dijital New Member

damn, if you're goin to buy all the expensive equip, i'd at least get a decent audigy 2 at least with it.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:eek4: I would never spend that much money on a computer, and if I did it'd be a Sun or an SGI or something.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

:ugh: no way in hell would i take a Audgiy of a Emu 0404.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  7. teknovin2

teknovin2 sssssssick

does anyone know of quality heat sink and fan to go along with the FX-55 because the OEM version doesnt include those items. any help would be apprecaited. thanks.

8. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Arctic Cooling, TR2TT, and ThermalTake provide the best bang for the buck, ESPECIALLY TR2TT (Which is just a ThermalTake subsidary).

It's all up to you; just get one that is rated below 28dba, or else it will be a banshee. Every three decibels (dba) the noise level doubles, so be careful!

Also, the Antec 550w EPS is a sweet PSU. The MGE Vigor 500w has rails that blasts the Antec's away, but it has no PCI-E connectors, and it only has a 20-pin mobo adapter. I was going to recommend that one, but then I thought about your specs.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

omg. Thermal Take is crap. Their products are not innovative, they are loud, overpriced, and are of poor quality.

Zalman is superior to TT in EVERY regard. Thermalright is well-regarded, as well, but I feel Zalman is the better of the two.

Also, the Antec 550 psu is way overpriced and is definitely overrated. Sparkle will kick the crap out of antec both in performance and reliability -- and it will do so at a lesser cost.

FreeSpace > Please stop mentioning "bigbrands" that you've heard of.

10. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Have you even read the reviews of the Vigor 500? We're talking less than .1 volts of fluctuation on all rails.

ThermalTake makes a couple good models; I am just very fond of TR2TT because they make the cheapest silent HSF's around that actually work, IMO.

My friend has a Zalman cooler on his P4. He got the little bastard from 2.8 to 3.5 easy with it, and it may be even higher now, I have not asked him.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why do you deal with companies that have 1 or 2 *decent* models and the rest is crap? If you went with Sparkle, you'd deal with a company that consistantly puts out *awsome* products for supurb prices.

TT as a company has horrible ethics, and they're products make me want to scream.

12. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

The Sparkles were tempting, but pricey. I was originally going to get one some months back, but never worked up the money.

However, after seeing the quality of MGE's PSU's, I wanted a Vigor 500. Wonderful PSU. Well, I saw that the Viper case I wanted also came with a 500w PSU (Non-Vigor), so I just got that. They have been in business since 1990, and small companies don't last that long if they make shit.

Also, dealing with crappy companies can be fine in some instances. I assume you remember the Radio Shack brand CD players that sold out in two days across America? People never figured out exactly what happened, but they were selling this cheap ass $200 player that had audiophile guts in it, and the word got out. Some people bought three at a time, because they knew that this would never happen again.

Also, you don't need to buy the highest quality parts to have a stable machine. It kind of gets to the point where spending too much is counter-productive.

I mean, spending $250 on a PC Power and Cooling 510 SLI PSU is beyond overkill, unless you are running a quad Opteron server, or something else along those lines. Spending that much on components that will never be reused just seems kind of...silly, to me.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a good sparkle is around $80 :shrugs: dunno how you think that's too much.

14. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'd have to agree with this. All the TT products I've dealth with have been loud as fuck.

15. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

My brother's Volcano 12 sounds like a 480w vibrator when turned on...But only if he turns the fans up.

16. lowfat

I had a volcano once.......and never again. what a peice of shit.

17. marauder

marauder New Member

SLI is a waste of time for now NO game can make any use of it google it you will find out that 1 video card gives the same fps. There are games out there that it would be good to have SLI but they were not made to be able to use it :(
    Other wise nice set up should run very good. BTW go SLI if you feel you must it's your money.

18. lowfat

wierd. cause from what i've heard it helps a lot when it comes to AA, etc. its not twice the gain, but it does help.

19. marauder

marauder New Member

If you want bragging rights then SLI is for you. I do not care what it can do In 3D benchmarks such as 3D mark05 showing the theoretical performance. It Has virtually NO benefit for the current generation of games and it will be a while before it can do so with games yet to be made that can utilize a SLI set up.

20. adam17

adam17 now im gonna sing the doom song! doom doom doom do

i dont know y u went with SLI. the 6800s are way overpriced and under-perform compared to the x800xt. plus there r literally no games that support SLI cards

21. lowfat

i said it was good for AA, ASF. Let's see one 6800GT pull 1600X1200 with 4XAA, and high ASF in Doom3 and still maintain 55FPS

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'd *much* rather have the 6-series over an x800.

23. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

I'd rather have an X800...I really like ATI's drivers a lot more, not to mention the fact that the card runs cooler and only uses about two or so more watts than a 9800XT. The 6800GT's are power and heat whores, just like the old 5800 series cards.

I really have no clue why nVidia can't make a card that actually runs cool these days...ATI has always made more effecient cards than nVidia in terms of power, except for the GeForce 2MX, which was an amazing feat. The core itself consumes about 4W of power.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

how do you measure efficiency?

In my book (and that of every other engineer that designs this stuff) it's a ratio of output to input.

The geforce 6-series supports features such as pixelshader2/3, and the x800 does not. In most games (real-world performance) the geforce also excels. Dollar to fps ratios again favor the 6-series.

ATI's drivers are viewed as sub-par compared to nvidias in the industry. Hotter or not, the nvidias do not have stability issues due to heat, so I see that as a horrible argument.

Bottom line, the 6-series cards are less-expensive, are faster, and will last longer than the ATI offerings.

25. lowfat

I am an ATI fanboy, but there drivers have never being anywhere close as good as Nvidia's. Up until recenty their drivers sucked balls. Thats why omega was created.