A&P What do you suggest for a beginner v.dslr

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BBB, Jan 20, 2010.

1. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

I've been looking at the Canon XSI, Canon T1i and the Nikon D3000. My head is getting ready to explode from all the specs but I don't know what any of them mean or if they'd be significant to me. I want to get a camera that I can learn with and that isn't going to cost me a lot of money. The HD video on the T1i is nice, but I dunno if I'd use it enough.

I found this D3000 deal on costco website along with two lenses (which will give me some stuff to dink around with) for what seems like a good price.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11491511&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|83|87150&N=4040592&Mo=10&pos=1&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=87150&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1〈=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10604-Cat83&topnav=

I'd prefer to buy new because of warranties, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

I'd personally go with a T1i

but in all honesty you can probably pick up a used 50d body for a pretty decent price right now id imagine so that would be my first choice if video wasn't a concern

3. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

I just checked...50D's are still going for around $750-800 on FM.

You can probably pick up a 40D for about $600-650. I'd personally get that, maybe a cheap kit lens like the original 18-55mm (without IS) and/or a 50mm f/1.8.

Personally...that's the combo (except mine was a 30D) that got me hooked on the hobby.

I now have a 50D (looking to upgrade to the 7D in the next few months) and as for lenses 17-55mm f/2.8 :)love:), 10-22mm, 70-200 f/4L, 50mm f/1.8.

If you're really serious about getting into it...I'd recommend getting a semi-pro camera from either Nikon or Canon. I have never bought new personally...just always buy from people with good feedback on FM forums (fredmiranda). I've never had a problem where I required warranty work or any kind of repair for that matter. The cost savings imo is worth not buying new.

4. alexromo

alexromo New Member

but used

canon 10D and lens for cheap on craigslist these days

5. Curren$y

Curren$y New Member

why anyone would get an XSI over a 40d is beyond me!

6. Bukka

Bukka Active Member

some people don't want the size and weight of a 40D

7. mikmit

mikmit :o? OT Supporter

i got the xsi to start and immediately upgraded to the 40D

8. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

XSi is a great beginner camera. If you however really get into to photography like I did, you will quickly grow out of the XSi and want something better, like the 40D.

9. nainline6ftw

nainline6ftw Winter is coming

20/30/40/50D it doesn't really matter if you're a beginner. Spend your money on lenses.

10. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

you will be much happier if you start with a 20d/30 vs a rebel, if you go canon. I began with the XTi and honestly did not enjoy taking pictures until I went to and xxd series. for me it was about button placement, the additional wheel and the larger size making it easier to hold

11. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

budget would help

how much can you spend to start? for both camera and lenses

12. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

oh and fuck the d3000. shitty fucking camera

if anything, go d5000 on the nikon side. pref cough up the money for a d90.

13. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

I'd like to spend no more than $700 for a kit.

Looks like 40d and 50d kits on craigs in my area are like $800+

14. pantheR

pantheR New Member

I went with the XSi because it fit my budget and at the time thought buying used was a bad idea.

but i've since upgraded to the 40D and haven't looked back! and working on a 5th lens already :(

15. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

I'm just having a tough time grasping the concept of how a 3-4 year camera can be better than a camera from same manufacturer that came out last year.

so the xxD series > rebel Xsi, T1i?

What are the main and most obvious (something that i'll care as a beginner) differences between rebel and xxD series? Is it mostly the size and button placement or is there more in the mechanics as well? (Once again, this will be my first DSLR, it'll probably be a year before I even know how to do anything right on it)

16. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

the rebels are the entry level dslr's

the 40d is the prosumer level. a lot more features.

the d5000 is nikon's rebel line. the d90 is the top prosumer nikon body. the d90 shits on the d5000 as far as little bells and whistles that are so handy.

17. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i can't answer about the canon, but i can answer that question for nikon.

the d3000 is a shitty camera by today's standards. it's the low level line and it has the older type sensor.

the d5000 has the newer sensor, but it lacks 2 external wheels for adjusting shutter/aperture. it lacks the top LCD display that is handy to show you all sorts of shit. it lacks a lot of external buttons. it also lacks an internal motor, meaning you need all lenses to have their own motor. this is kind of limiting. the d90 is the prosumer body.

and yes within a year you will realize. i've only been shooting a dslr 7 months now, and from the very first month i was using everything on the d90 that the d5000 lacks.

18. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

another guy on OTAP said this before

in the grand scheme of things, a few hundred bucks more for a body is worth it considering how much you'll put in to lenses. why not spend the extra 200-300 now and be done with it

19. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

Thanks for your help. Looks like I got more reading to do :o

20. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

21. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

:werd:

I can agree with this having bought a D60 and then 9 months later upgrading because I was getting frustrated.

Although I would not have lost that much since my D60 sold for 450 on ebay.

22. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

23. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

So a 40D > T1i?

The cheapest I was able to get a guy down on a D40, with lense and batteries was $800.

I can get the T1i kit new from costco for $700.

24. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

not sure if your intentions are to just take pictures or to actually get into photography, but if it is the later, you will prolly end up hating that kit lens. it is just there to sell a camera, not to take a good picture

25. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

One last question... which would make a better everyday lense

Canon 28-135 lens

or

Canon lens 17-85mm IS zoom

Does the second number being higher in the first lense mean that it'll zoom in more?