What do you like for white?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MSIGuy, Nov 29, 2007.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

So, I've just been getting into detailing, I own a 2006 Polar White Scion xB.

[​IMG]

Currently I've been using Megs 3 step topped with their carnuba or a lair of NXT. I'm pretty happy with the results, but with everything, it could be better.

I know I'm not going to get insane shine and reflection like a nice dark black with a carnuba on top, but can I get close at least?

What kind of products do you like on white?

BTW, just ordered myself some ONR for winter washing, kinda hoping I can use it during the warmer days of winter (no garage here), maybe even sneak into the coin op and use it... lol

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

3. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

With white, you want to really polish the paint. This is where the true depth and reflection is found........not in the wax. Wax is there for enhancing and protection. I would polish with Menzerna's 106ff and then top with Poorboy's Polish with Sealant or Optimum's Poli-Seal. Then, for the final look, Optimum's Opti-Seal. I've had a bottle now for 5 months and I have done over 35 cars with it. So concentrated and worth every penny....especially when it comes to looks.

4. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Thanks for the input! I've been thinking I want to change polishes and have been wanting to try some of the Carnauba Moose over the NXT. I should have ordered some Optimum Poli-Seal when I ordered my ONR.

I honestly need to stop buying detailing supplies... --After I get more MF...

One last question, LSP stands for what? I even consulted Autopia's decoder ring to no avail. Last Step Protection? Too many acronyms to learn when you're starting out!

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

last step product.

go to target and get the orange Vroom MFs. best towels for the money. i also like to use the mirage towels from advance auto parts. they come in a 3 pk or a 12 pk. the 3 pk towels are a bit bigger.

6. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I figured LSP was something like that. Right now I've got some decent no brand towels from O'Rileys with a few Meg's WW's. I'll head to Target and check those out! I think I'm going to start "classifying" them into different classes, like the semi dirty ones for the side skirts and lip, clean ones for final buffing, ect.

I've got quite a few MF's that I just can't seem to get dirt out of.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Optimum Polish and Opti-Seal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Wow, I like the nice wet look on that Acura. What do you think would hold up better, Optimum's Opti-Seal or Meg's NXT over the Optimum Polish? I just ordered the ONR (it better be as good as you say it is!) and I'll be reapplying a sealant for the rest of winter and probally won't get another chance to reseal until it thaws (so late May, no garage) and sounds like Opti-Seal might be worth a try!

9. Scottwax

Opti-Seal is more durable than the current version of NXT, but the new version of NXT due out in a couple months seems to be about as durable as OS.

10. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Does Opti-Seal have a fine level of cut to it like NXT seems to have (or is it just me?)

I've seen posts about NXT (2?) most likely from you, and that it has Meg's "Hydrophobic" or whatever they call it. That sounds real exciting, I've got Meg's Ultimate QD and think its bounds above their regular QD.

Any inside tips on when the new NXT is released (if you can... lol)

11. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Zaino or Wolfgang topped with PS look amazing

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

opti seal is just a clear liquid sealant. no correction at all. it's in a spray bottle. now poli-seal, that does have some cut to it.

13. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Opti seal sounds like what I'm looking for then. Eventually I'll need to do some correction, but I think I'll wait until I treat myself to a PC or an UDM this spring.

My friend keeps telling me, "Hey, my Sears Buffer is just as good as anything you can buy online, and it only cost $30!" Then again, he's the one that told me things like, "Nah, Simple Green is a great car wash" or "My paint is going to last longer than yours because you're always washing and waxing yours and I don't."

14. Paulie Walnuts

Ive got a bottle of Opti-Seal thats used that I will never use again because I dont like it. If someone wants to buy it shoot me a PM.

15. Scottwax

Why didn't you like Opti-Seal?

16. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

all of this makes me :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i used mine on about 1/4 of a truck, and didn't see anything except a few smears. i'm sure I was using too much, but i still didn't see any changes in the paint. :dunno:

18. Paulie Walnuts

It streaked too much and I just did not think it left a very good shine.

Ive been doing a lot of comparing of products on a test pannel in the garage and then I will put it outside the house so it has exposure to the elements.

I have found that Zaino CS really does not add a whole hell of a lot unless you add 3 coats + then it really starts to shine. I pitch that to clients who are worried most about protection as a topper for whatever. But one coat doesnt seem to do a whole lot.

UPGP looked nice initially but faded fast.

Optiseal just didnt seem to add much unless I hit 5 coats and it streaked so bad for me.

Maybe I will keep the OptiSeal and the UPGP (found the return package sitting in Megans trunk, sound familiar Scott?) and test them next summer.

I just like Zaino and Wolfgang on my car and Zaino on Megans. The UPGP looked really good on Megans but again, it dropped off fast.

I only do about 30 to 40 cars a year, you do that in a few weeks so I dont get to see the long lasting results. I have about 10 repeat customers every spring and everyone of them I have tried to pitch something else to and they all insist on me doing what I did last time, which was Z2/5P x2 and then top with Z8.

A little birdie told me that the ZFX is probably going away soon (by fall of 2008) so that will make it even better although the cost will rise :nono:

19. Paulie Walnuts

Yeah I probably was. And I hated using the foam applicator. I get the cheapie MFs at Walmart and they work great. Once they are worn out they get washed and tossed into the tires and door jabs pile.

20. Scottwax

If any of the wipe on and done sealants streak, you are using way too much. I get pretty much zero streaking with OS and CS and some with UPGP-probably because that gignormous MF pad makes it hard to tell when it is fully primed.

Side by side, both UPGP and OS are noticably deeper and wetter than CS, and upon initial appliction, UPGP looks wetter than OS. After a couple of hours though, I can't tell a difference. All three are a bit slicker after fully cured.

21. Paulie Walnuts

Well I guess Im using too much then. Sadly detailing is over for now until April. Fucking Minnesota. They are plowing my driveway right now. Man I love living here minus winters. I gotta get the fuck out.