GUN What do you guys think? V. Getting an AR soon. V. opinions.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BigBadJohn, Jul 28, 2006.

1. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

My owning an AR is coming soon!. :coold: I’ve slowly accumulated over $300 walking around cash. And am getting my first paycheck on Monday, which I expect to be about $350.
    Not to mention I might sell some abandoned cars on my grandmas property.

As soon as I get all the cash I think Im going to get on the ball and contact a guy my dad knows that runs a militaria store called The Alamo near St. Louis. Hes got an FFL, and can transfer the stuff to me.

Heres what Im thinking about getting

Upper:
    Stag 2h upper

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=335496

Lower:
    Stag

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=311790
    Maybe pay extra 15 bucks and get a tactical stock? :dunno:
    Is the ambi selector switch really worth the extra $25 :dunno:

Some 30 rnder mags, as well as a few 20 rnders (I kinda think they look :cool: in the gun)

I’ve seen 90 round drums for $130 from this place:
    http://www.tapco.com/
    And also www.rguns.net , although the pictures of their “new” mags look a little beat up.
    Plus they have $15 20 and 30 round mags, might be worth a shot

www.ammunitionstore.com maybe for magazines or ammunition (I found 1000 rounds of 55 grain wolf there for $120, also 20 and 30 round magazines for under $10 :eek3:)
    I was also directed to http://www.cproductsllc.com/ by an oter in another thread. Doesn’t look too bad.

Maybe a tactical pistol grip down the road
    And also maybe a tactical rail/forearm (I like the rails I’ve seen that have covers that slip over the left and right side so you have a smoother thing to hold on to, anyone know a good place to find these rails and covers?)
    I’ve been looking at this place:http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/ar_2_piece_forearm.htm
    Maybe a vertical pistol grip. But I don’t really know if they give you much of an advantage.
    What do you guys think about sling adaptors to have a side mounted sling?

I don’t think I will do anything as far as optics goes (at least not for some time).
    The flip up front sights are kinda expensive for how small they are.
    Kinda hard to use both glass and irons on the same gun w/o switching out things isn’t it?
    There’s just too many decisions and not enough rails or money to put them all on :noes:

Could you guys look over the stuff Im thinking about getting and tell me what you think? I’m not too familiar with all of the different brands and all of the accessories out there.

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

skip the ambi selector.
    skip the 90rd drum.

Pick up some quality 30rd mags and a couple of 20s if you like.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=24

Also, you may want to get some quality ammo first, to help break in your rifle, then try WOLF and see if it works. PS, they are out of stock at that place.

3. BigBadJohn

Can always pick up a couple boxes of Remington at walmart or the gun show.

And yeah that 90 round drum looks a little cheaply made anyways.

Yeah, I know theyre outta stock. So is every othe rplace that I have any remote interest in buying ammo from because of their prices

4. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

Remington and winchester white box*wwb*will be just fine for breaking it in.
    Those rail covers are made by magpul.I bought 1 rail thinking it would be enough to cover what i wanted and nope only enough to cover 1 side.i think theyre like 10$ each.
    if you`re going to use some optics*eotech,aimpoint,ect ect*get a larue quick latch*though i can still use my irons through the eotech*
    as for the rails,those MI`s are pretty bulletproof.have a set on my M4gery and couldnt be happier.though it was a bitch to put my vert grip on,but its not going anywhere.as for other ammo..good luck realy..prices seem to get higher and higher.
    but for now,just buy the rifle and blast away...and keep an eye on arfcom`s EE,they have decent deals goin on and alot of good dealers there aswell

5. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

If it ain't a Colt, it's just a copy.:squint:

6. BigBadJohn

Im just trying to get an AR soon, before I cant even get one some day. (I live in Illinois, where they have lately been talking about banning assault rifles and .50's)

Im just hoping theres soame kind of grandfather clause. Either that, or its getting shipped to my uncle in Az.
    Althoguh Painkiller had a good idea. He said to just store it in a locker in St. Louis.

7. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Screw that, buy whats cheap, most rifles dont even need "broken" in. I have never had a problem with Wolf, its all I have shot out of my RRA. Why pay more for plinkin.

8. Y2kAccord

:greddy: :greddy: :greddy:

9. BigBadJohn

I dont know. For a gun that costs $800, I might just be on the safe side and break it in. I wouldnt worry about it if it was say a 10/22 or some other readily available cheap gun.

10. Y2kAccord

I paid $850 for mine and the Manufacture says in the user guide THE GUN DOES NOT NEED TO BE BROKEN IN. Its fired Wolf from day one without a problem. You must have a pretty shitty gun if it cant handle a soft steel case ammo. :mamoru:

11. BigBadJohn

From what Ive heard, Stag rifles arent pieces of junk. But if some people and wmd tell me to break it in and the others tell me not to, Its worth the extra few bucks to buy 50 to 100 rounds of Winchester for the first use.

12. Y2kAccord

Breaking in from my understanding is shooting ammo, I do not see why you need match ammo to do this. Wolf is fine. I would check with the manufacture to see what they say.
    Wolf is really no differnet than any other ammo except for teh steel case which in itself doenst mkae that much difference on "military grade rifles"
    But if you dont buy wolf.. pay more.. it leaves more for me.

13. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

An AR has very tight tolerance. It should be loosened up a bit before using underpowered ammo.

WOLF is underpowered. I know you're a WOLF whore, but just because it worked fine for you, doesnt mean it will work for him.

He doesnt need to get "match" ammo and such. Just something that's up to standards.

14. Y2kAccord

More Wolf to buy for me :bigthumb:

15. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I just got my 4 uppers in today :big grin: From the same guy as linked above also. Hes a great guy to deal with :)

[​IMG]

16. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i use an Eotech and iron sights and there's no problem with cowitness. as long as a scope is more than 4x magnification, the front sight base won't be visible, even though you're looking right at it. as for ammo, i can maybe understand using standard power ammo for the first range trip to loosen it up, but don't worry about breaking in the barrel. if it's chrome lined or chrome moly, it's pointless. I shoot a lot of wolf out of my rifle. here's what i did to mine:

[​IMG]

the railed forearm is nice, as you can see I don't really have any need for it, but I plan on using a QD bipod mount in the future so it'll work out. I have 3 KAC rail panels on the bottom and both sides, and then 2 Surefire rail panels that cover up the entire top.

those drums are gay as hell, and for $130 they're a rip off. just save up another $100 and buy a Beta-C if you really want a drum. personally, i think it's just a waste of money, especially since i bought a ton of 30rd mags for $5 each.

17. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Keep in mind the supply of .223 has dried up and what you can find is expensive.

18. BigBadJohn

FOUR Uppers!?! :eek3:
    Some handguns, and hollow points, and your on your way to appearing in a news story that will ultimately be quoted in wmd

I know, but I want an assault rifle, and Im not that big of a fan of AKs, and I think that ARs are pretty cool. Ill just have to keep an eye out constantly for sales on .223, and then when I do find one, Ill buy as much as I can.

Is there any advantage with a mag pull?
    And, if I wanted to use my irons, how does that work in conjunction with optics? Can you see the front sight, and does it still line up/fit behind the rear sight well?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  19. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

it can be an advantage depending on how you load and unload the mag. for me, it doesn't make any difference b/c i prefer to just grab the mag body. i just got a good deal on them so i decided to try them out. i don't quite know what you're asking about the optics. it all depends on what kind of optic you want to use. for me, the rear sight, Eotech reticle, and front sight all line up. if i don't use the rear sight, the Eotech reticle stays on the impact point even when i look at it with a different angle. if i flip up the rear sight, the dot in the center of the eotech reticle sits perfectly on top of the front sight when i line up the front and rear sight. i believe it works the same for an Aimpoint (minus the holographic aspect).

20. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

here are some pics to describe what i'm talkin about. there's not really any reason to use the rear sight with the Eotech, but just to illustrate...

without rear sight:
    [​IMG]

looking through rear sight:
    [​IMG]

21. BigBadJohn

Whats the spencs on that dot scope? Price?

22. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

it's an Eotech 512. i got this one for $320 shipped.

23. BigBadJohn

Wow. Looks to be a pretty good ivestment. I like the plane of view it offers, not to mention the mil-spec tests that they calaim to have done to it. Will definately look into it further when the time comes!

Is it still easy to see in the bright daylight?
    Where did you find it for $320?

I think this will be really good, especially with a flip up front sight.

24. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

it's got adjustable brightness and it's very, very easy to see in very bright conditions. i got it from the ar15.com equipment exchange from a dealer named JTAC Supplies.

25. BigBadJohn