GUN What do you guys think of winchester silvertips?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Mar 13, 2008.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I got them in 185 gr. $20 /40. They will be used in my 1911 which is my 3rd choice in a carry gun but will be carried this summer on vacation oc.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd use them if its all I had, I wouldn't spend money for more.

3. minus

My glock has the 200 gr +p gold dots. I'm just thinking if i'm going to be carrying 25 rounds why buy more ammo?

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well the idea is that you might actually shoot and practice with what you carry and have to replace them over time :big grin: When you run out of silvertips, don't buy more, move to a more modern choice.

5. minus

So I will fire the 15 to make sure it likes them. Then carry them. The 1911 Imo is size prohibitive with the current holster.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

There may be part of the issue too, "professionals" will want to fire a ton of rounds to be sure their gun is reliable with them. I understand that most of us can't afford to blow through 500 rounds of jhp's though and those that carry a gun for a living are going to be given their ammo. Personally I'd try to shoot through 200 rounds of jhp's before I decided the gun liked that flavor, especially a model known for being as picky as a 1911. Ymmv and all that, not trying to say "you've got to do it this way" as much as I'm trying to pass on the majority opinion on it.

Perhaps in the future you can load your own gold dots and make it a bit more affordable to test and carry. :)

7. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Yup, I always try to shoot at least 200 of whatever I'm going to carry without a single malfunction. My 1911 liked silvertips, I got 'em cheap so they worked.

I was looking at loading my own in .45 for testing purposes, load to the same OAL as Speer. But instead just bought GD's from Georgia Arms.