What do you guys think of this websites "high end PC" build..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Matt2000ss, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

2. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Case sucks.

Power supply is OK, but it'd be better to go with a PC Power and Cooling

Processor is kind of meh. 6300 can be overclocked to great speeds on air cooling, so no real reason to get a 6600. Plus, huge price drops are coming over the next month or two for intel processors.

Motherboard is meh. P5K > P5N. Can also go for the DDR3, and buy that instead of the Corsair they talk about in the next page.

Hard drive... If you're going for "high end", get a 10k or 15k rpm HD and some 500gb for storage.

Video card... GTS are pretty awesome, but the GTX is the highest end card.

Go with a Samsung monitor if you want a new one. In the same price ranges, Samsung beats out Dell, or if you're going for ultra high end visuals in regards to monitors, get a Benq.

3. mrj

mrj New Member

Don't build one now, all of the good shit comes out after Xmas to handle all of the games people bought for Xmas

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't recommend that Asus board. I've had lots of bad luck with high-end asus boards. The ancillaries always seem to break. The main functions are okay, but an ide controller will go out, audio, firewire, etc... Something fails. And sorry, but nVidia chipsets suck right now. You are SOOOO much better off with an Intel chipset!

SHITTY power supply. There have been many PSU-related threads lately.... I've made many recommendations in them.

Make sure you go with the Intel CPU and not AMD.

Hard drives are fine

memory is overkill.

I don't care for samsung optical drives... I prefer NEC/Sony/Lite-On

For video card, nVidia > ATi

Ugh don't get the dell lcd. Infamous for backlight bleed, stuck pixels, and mediocre performance. Samsungs have been historically good and consistant

Sound Blaster cards are such a scam. Don't even bother. If you want something better than lame onboard, go get an M-Audio card.

Logitech speakers a shit. WAAAY too bright highs, muddy bass. It's like the Sony Xplod of computer audio. Absolute overpriced shit. If you must get computer speakers, Klispch are okay. If you can, get a HTiaB for around the same money. If you want the ultimate, go for studio monitors. I'm running a set of Yamaha HS50M monitors and a KRK Rockit 10 sub. awsome.

I'm not a big fan of cordless mice. The G5 is a good mouse.

G15 is really expensive and I'm not sold on the feel. The VFD is cool, but not super useful. I have an Apple keyboard (they're actually made by Mitsumi) and it's quite good.

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Agreed with everything but the Video Card (and possibly the power supply, always had good luck with Antec). nVidia might be better for gaming, but for someone like me, that $2500 would go into a CADD machine; nVidia sucks ass compared to ATI for Revit.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I prefer the Quatro cards to the FireGL.

Performance in 99% of tasks is faster with the nvidia. Drivers are INFINITELY better with nVidia.

ATi drivers fucking SUCK.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

What's wrong with the memory? The brand or the amount? The amount of ram is not overkill, I've played several games that use up more than 1 gig of ram.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the amt is not overkill, but the price is. It's not worth the increase, imo. They put a flashy heatsink (which is arguable whether that helps or hurts performance) and jack the price up.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

IMO, nothing wrong with that ram, it's fine specially if you could get it at a cheap price. There are other brands that perform as good for under $100 after rebate.

Price diff between DDR-800 and the faster DDR2-1066 is not that big either, so that's another option. DDR3 right now is just to have a bigger e-penis.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

def go 1066 over 800. multipliers are great, but lower multiplier is always better.

agreed ddr3 is worthless for now.

11. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

cool, thanks for responses guys.