What do you guys think of the TomTom ONE GPS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by csun, Sep 5, 2007.

1. csun

csun New Member

hey guys, im looking at the tomtom and i dont want to break the bank here. even 200$ is a lot for me but im seriously considering it.

what are your thoughts?

im looking for something to get me from point A to point B if need be. Something that i can actually see, and something that tells me how much longer i have to get there (or how many miles left, etc.).

Is this exactly what i need? any flaws? any other (less expensive) recommendations? thanks!!!

2. sony

sony Active Member

Hey dude it's on sale at Toys R Us

http://www.slickdeals.net/

For $160 it's a pretty good deal I think, but keep in mind the third iteration of this GPS is coming out soon for $250 (next month?) which might cause prices on the ONE even lower.

It looks like a pretty solid GPS for a budget price. Reviews are good and I doubt you'll find much better for less than $160.

I'm still waiting for a sub-200 dollar GPS with TTS, but $160 for the ONE is tempting. :hs:

3. csun

csun New Member

i called Toys r us in my area and they dont carry it. Also, is there anything special about the third edition that is coming out? Finally, how important of a feature do u think TTS is?

THanks!!

4. sony

sony Active Member

No other TRUs in your area? That sucks, $160 is a sweet deal.

Not a ton of information on it. :hs:

It's smaller, I guess. Some benefits, some drawbacks.

To me, I think TTS is really helpful because you don't have to constantly look at the screen. If the voice is calling out street names you can be watching the road instead of looking at the screen to see what street is coming up when it gets announced. The only GPS units that have TTS under $200 are pretty shoddy in quality though (not so great with picking which route is the best or recalculating).

I'm still waiting for a TTS unit under 200.. might break down and get the ONE though especially if I can get that game piece for another 10% off. $144 is really hot. :noes:

5. sony

sony Active Member

http://www.gpsreview.net/tomtom-one/

Here is a pretty decent review of the TomTom One. If you can't get a TRU unit maybe you should wait until v3 comes out to see if the v2 prices drop at least. They've gone down from $250 to $200 almost everywhere in the last couple of weeks. v3 is right around the corner if you're not in a rush, so maybe we'll see more deals for the ONE v2 at sub-$200 prices. :dunno:

6. csun

csun New Member

awesome, i think ill wait until V3 comes out to see if the prices drop on V2. how big is the screen on the V2 compared to 3.5 for V3?

it seems as though V2 would better fit my needs compared to the V3, particularly because of the SD card slot. would you happen to know how up to date the maps are so that i wouldnt have to update them every 3 months. im asking because if i need to update all the time, then a SD slot (v2) would be a better purchase. thoughts?

also, the TTS sounds pretty good too, but i doubt ill be able to hear it over the music in the car, what do you think?

7. sony

sony Active Member

Sorry they're both 3.5" I think that page I grabbed that from, they were talking about a higher end model and then he was saying return to 3.5".

Not completely sure on the maps. You might want to look up some reviews for it or something.

If you're going to listen to your music so loud that you can't hear turn by turn directions, I guess TTS doesn't matter much to you. :mamoru:

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

I have been using the Tom Tom One and have loved it. For the money, its really a quality product. I appreciate how easy it is to use-- all you have to do is turn it on pretty much and its set.

I know the v3 comes with preloaded, up to date maps. Also, it has a feature called mapshare, which lets you instantly share and update maps from other users.

Regarding the Toys R Us deal, could you order it from their website online? That's a great price!

9. spooky

spooky OT Supporter

i heard there are a lot of sub $200 gps units coming out in Q4 from engadget. gonna try to wait it out :hs: