What do you guys think of the honda v65's

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by spyder2581, May 1, 2008.

1. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

I have been looking around now and realized that I don't want a sport bike. They are too uncomfortable for me. I have been looking at the honda sabres and even the honda magnas. Anyone here own/owned one? Anyone have any other recommendations for me for something similar? I like them because they are cheap and still have 120 hp stock. Anyone know the differences between the sabres and the magnas besides the looks?

2. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

buddy had a magna, not a bad bike, just not my cup of tea

3. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I just bought an 84Magna V65 last week, it's an awesome bike. Very powerful, though, with lots of torque down low. On my first ride, about 60 miles into it, I gave it too much throttle coming off a stop into a right turn, and the back tire decided it wanted to go elsewhere, and I dropped it on the right side. No major damage, and just a bruise on my elbow. But besides getting used to al that power, it seems like a really great bike. Passing is no problem, the ride is comfortable, and so is the seating position, although mine has a Corbin seat on it, so that helps a lot.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3776881

As for th difference between the Sabe and the Magna, I think it's just the looks of the front and the seating position, the Magna is more of a cruiser look with the rectangular headlight and no fairing, while the Sabre has the round headlight and a matching fairing. Mechanically, I thinkthey are identical, but I'm not positive. Check out www.v4hondabbs.com , there seems to be a lot of good info there for the Magnas, Sabres, and Interceptors.

Edit: Also, if you go look at a bike, ask if the oil mod has been done to it. From the factory, the early Honda V4s under-oiled the top end, which causes them to chew up cams and everything up there. It's a really simple fix that will help the engine run for a long time.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  4. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

hey guys, thanks for the info so far

5. i64X

i64X New Member

My brother had the smaller version (V45?) It was his first bike - and a good bike. He never had any issues with it, kinda beat on it, and had fun with it. It got really good mileage. I rode it a couple times - it was really light and really fun to rip around on. Easy to ride and everything was pretty smooth and ergonomic.

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

The Sabre and Magna are the same engine. Magna is the "cruiser", the Sabre is the "standard".
    Good power, good torque, used to be the king of the hill when they first came out.

If you wanted something else in the similar class, then you would find the Vmax, the Suzuki GS1100E and Madura and the Kawasaki GPZ1100 and Eliminator.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  7. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

The Yamaha XS1100 is also in the same class. I was going to go look at one of those when I was bike shopping, but the Magna V65 just grabbed me. Also, the guy with the Yamaha had it hidden in his garage while his mother was visiting from out-of-state, so I couldn't even go look at it.