GUN what do you guys think of the .357 auto?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sushibug, Jun 16, 2003.

1. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

what do you guys think of the .357 sig?

my friend praises it a lot but i dont know too much about it. he says thats his #1 pistol calibur of choice.

edit: .357 sig

Last edited: Jun 16, 2003
  2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

It's an impressive round, popular but i wouldn't say widely used. Ballistically, it has a tiny bit more punch than a .40 S&W, and performs very well after penetrating hard cover such as auto doors/windows, sheetrock walls, etc.

i like the shooting characteristics of it, in recoil it gives a very quick snap that i recover from quickly, so i can personally shoot very fast and accurate with it. Some people don't like the way it handles though.

Ultimately, i think it'll go the way of the 10mm, still around, but sort of an oddball round. The 9mm, .40, and .45 have already grabbed the market it panders to and it doesn't really offer enough incentive to change.

If you're asking if it's a good round to learn how to shoot on, i'd say no.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

you still can't get as many rounds into the mags as 9mm. that's the biggest drawback of it and .40.

4. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I would buy the gun in .40 or 9mm and get a .357SIG barrel later. I like it, but different ammo types are hard to find.

5. footratfunkface

civilian capacity what? do they bend you nevadans over and ram it up there good or are you just saying silly things? you can own preban mags. at least, in my state you can. maybe california is seeping into nevada. anyways, the capacity of a hicap glock 19 (the compact, but not subcompact, 9mm) is 15, or 17 with the extension. compare that to the other calibers, like .357sig and .40 and .45 in the same compact pistol. hell, the fullsized glock .45, the 21, has a max capacity of 10, unless you get some mag extensions.

6. kellyclan

$$$ for those prebans still.

i'm probably not buying anything designed to hold more than 10 rounds under after 09/04.

i'll just pick up a 1911 and a P7M8 to hold me over for handguns til then.

7. footratfunkface

if you've never understood that when people shoot at you, you don't just stand there, duel-style and shoot back, please, shut your mouth. preferably around the barrel of a firearm.

there is a reason that magazines hold more than 10 rounds. there could be more than one adversary. such is often the case in the robbery of a bank or gas station. since neither you or the other guy are likely to be standing still and in the open, like your target does at the range, you just might have a harder time putting rounds into central mass. then you've got the fact that one round is hardly ever going to stop the guy.

there is also a reason that police carry hicaps, and backup mags. because, even at close range, you can still empty a mag and miss every time. i've seen video of an officer and a guy in a car shooting at each other from no more than 5 yards apart, and both emptied their mags, and neither shot the other in all those rounds. why did police switch from 6 shot revolvers, which rarely have any malfunctions at all, to higher capacity autopistols? the ability to fire more rounds, and faster. i think i'll stick with the same strategy, but you can use 10 rounders for all i care. continue to shoot at static targets and believe that real life attackers behave the same way that paper and steel do.

8. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I think all the guns designed for the .357 SIG were all made after the magazine ban. I have never seen any pre-ban SIG 229 Mags.

9. kellyclan

Enough on all that. We all agree that facts show most gunfights are over in 3 rounds or less, and there is no plausible or legal reason to limit the capacity of a magazine.

No, there are no preban .357 SIG mags for the P229, but the preban P229 .40 mags work just fine.

10. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

i just shot the .357 for the first time today. holy crap the .40SW feels so weak. the .357 snaps pops and crackles 2x-3x meaner. overall i'd stick with the .40sw because the bullets are cheaper and i can fire faster/more accurate with the .40sw