What do you guys think, is it possible for a virus to cause hardware damage?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by slimjim, Jul 10, 2009.

1. slimjim

slimjim New Member

I work at a comp store and this guy came in who was trying to bring a class-action lawsuit against Trend Micro because he claims a virus made his hard drive crash. I told him it wasn't possible but now I'm not sure.

2. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

No. They might utilise the hardware to a great extent, but not damage it.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I remember one a while ago that claimed it would overwrite byte 0 on a drive, but I don't know if it ever got released.

4. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

byte 0? You mean do a fill zero on the drive? Either way that's not hardware damage.

There've been viruses that encrypt files on your HD and make you pay to have it unencrypted.

There may be a virus out there capable of upping the voltage on the motherboard and or graphics card to overheat and try to damage your components, but I've never seen one although I have heard of one years ago.

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

There was one that did something to the BIOS ... while back, it too overwrote the first few bytes of the drive wiping it. So yes, it's possible but more then likely not in the way that guy thinks.

I had a guy come into my computer shop once holding the read/write heads from an old hard drive. Wanted to know if we can sell him new ones cause his old ones were bad. I told him they weren't replaceable and he said everything is serviceable, and that it wasn't rocket science. Some customers are retarded.

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

there's the infamous chernobyl virus that flashes the bios, that one can kill a mobo

also heard of some that attack firmwares on routers, printers, etc. none on hdds though

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i remember reading a while back about one that would overwrite firmware on some dvdrw drives, causing them to brick

could also remotely be possible that it could override the refresh rate of the video card and damage the display

8. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

:werd:

9. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

I guess it wouldn't be complete impossible to replace the firmware on a device with moving parts in order to burn up the motor from over utilization or something. But seems far fetched. He better have money for that attorney, it would be hard to find one who would wave their rates for a piece of the action

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A virus could only damage hardware by overutilizing it to the extent that it exceeds its operational parameters, such as thrashing the hard drive to death or overheating a poorly-cooled CPU. I suppose it could also brick the firmware on a piece of hardware, but that can be fixed at the factory by plugging a harness onto the CMOS chip and rewriting the firmware program, so even that doesn't really count as "damage", per se.

11. slimjim

slimjim New Member

:rofl: So he exposed the platter? Nice.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can expose the platters without destroying the drive, you just have to make sure they don't get dust on them.

But yeah, that one guy was pushing the limit pretty hard. "I'm sorry sir, the manufacturer doesn't sell those parts individually. Maybe you can ask them if they'll sell you new ones.