WEB What do you guys think I should do with this site?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TurkeyChicken, Feb 26, 2008.

1. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

http://www.collegebarscene.com

It's pretty much the site I used to learn how to develop websites. A friend and I started the site back in like 03 or something. Since we graduated I haven't really touched the site (I think the last news post was from june of 06 or something :o )

The site still gets about 100-200 visits per day and brings in maybe 10-20 bucks per month.

It's still the #1 result for a lot of key phrases in google such as "college bars"

I'm just not sure what I want to do with the site now. I don't really have time to develop it anymore... and since I'm not in college I find it a lot harder to promote the site. I'm also not totally sure if i'd want to sell it purely because of sentimental value.

So, what do you guys think I should do? Any ideas are welcome.

2. chemicalviper

chemicalviper OT Supporter

Well, doesn't sound like you really want to keep going with it. Put the domain up for sale is one option.

I get a shitload of errors on this site though lol.

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /var/www/colleg17/www/includes/globals.php on line 8

Warning: mysql_select_db() [function.mysql-select-db]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /var/www/colleg17/www/includes/globals.php on line 9

Warning: mysql_select_db() [function.mysql-select-db]: A link to the server could not be established in /var/www/colleg17/www/includes/globals.php on line 9

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /var/www/colleg17/www/includes/globals.php on line 8

Warning: mysql_select_db() [function.mysql-select-db]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /var/www/colleg17/www/includes/globals.php on line 9

Warning: mysql_select_db() [function.mysql-select-db]: A link to the server could not be established in /var/www/colleg17/www/includes/globals.php on line 9

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/colleg17/www/includes/globals.php:8) in /var/www/colleg17/www/loginCheck.php on line 66

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/colleg17/www/includes/globals.php:8) in /var/www/colleg17/www/loginCheck.php on line 67

3. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

4. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I think the server might have taken a shit for some reason. things look like they're loading fine for me.

5. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

Need to find a way to make it more user-driven. Try to encourage people to use it more.. maybe make a plugin or some shit for facebook.

6. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

yeah, i briefly looked at the facebook API yesterday.

7. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

How much you want for it?

8. Oh its me 20

Oh its me 20 New Member

same question.

I am interested.

9. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

About a year ago I was in discussions with a company who was looking to acquire the site because they were planning to build something similar and figured rather than re-writing the wheel, they could simply buy my site as a base and start from there.

The figure we came up with and agreed upon as a fair amount at the time was $50k USD.

This was partially calculated by the amount of money they would need to spend to re-code what CollegeBarScene currently offers.

I think there's far more potential in the site to make money... it's just that I don't have the time and resources to upgrade and market it :hs:

10. Comtrad

Comtrad Guest

11. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

12. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

haha i have a college drinking site too, doesn't review or tell you about bars though, i went after a different aspect of it.... and it has since died. It still makes a few bucks here and there and I'm looking to revamp it soon.

13. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I'm actually interested in seeing what my guys might think the site is worth :dunno:

14. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

:cool:

link?

15. Comtrad

Comtrad Guest

I know, but the concept is good.

College bar scene, give them coupons for drinks that you can get with bars on college campuses, and charge them a small monthly fee to get the coupon.