GUN What do you guys think about this M1 Garand? (large pics)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t1h, Sep 12, 2006.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

Does it look good? Its a 2.72 million serial number springfield armory M1 Garand. All major parts are SA, but the rear sight is international harvester (IHC). It was a service grade from CMP in 2001. SA 1-51 barrel. Seller wants $600 + 25 shipping

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

looks to be in pretty nice shape, whats a current service grade going for from CMP now?

3. t1h

t1h Guest

$550. So yeah I could save $50 if I wait a month or 2 (already have my C&R and mailed off my membership to www.garandcollectors.org ) but instant gratification owns me :hs: but this one is already cleaned up and looks ready to go. and a CMP one would be covered in oil and need a cleaning and such, so I think its kinda worth the extra $50 to get this one

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: $50 more isn't to bad considering everything, If I was in your boat I'de buy that one.

5. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Mine is about 2.68million, and isnt in that nice of shape. The stock has alot of dings in it.

Id jump all over that one. The ones theyre selling now I think are in worse condition than that one. I think that the rear sight is of 50s or 60s production. Ive got about the same sight. Im thinking about replacing it to original markings. That and the gas tube cover arent right. Then Ill have a correct 1944

6. t1h

t1h Guest

ok I talked to the guy and I'm getting the money order sent to him. so in a week or 2 it will be mine :noes:

7. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

That rifle was built in March of 1944 according to Fulton's.

Wood matches and it doesn't look too beat up. I'd want to get the barrel checked out for TE and ME but it being a January of 1951 replacement sounds good too, so you may be fine.

Being a CMP buyer myself and noting the price increase from 500 to 550 @ CMP, I'd jump on this one too since you can actually see what you are getting yet you are only paying a little more. The CMP is a toss-up and I fared well.

The M1 I received from CMP was exceptionally nice minus the non-matching handguards but I've grown to like the contrast. The name escapes me now but it also had a barrel replacement in 1951, not from SA. I read that it was one of the best replacement barrels out there.

Anyways, I think they hooked me up with a nice rifle because I'm in the Reserve and I was born in Springfield, MA just a couple of miles from the Armory where millions of M1 Garands were built. :bowdown:

8. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Id hit it

9. t1h

t1h Guest

oh the guy sent me 1 more pic with the bullet test.

[​IMG]

10. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

the bullet test isn't really an accurate way to go about measuring things because of the wide range of variations in ammo from different suppliers. Lake City, Greek HXP, Korean,...

Whatever lets you sleep at night I guess. Did you ask him what ammo he ran thru it?

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Looks pretty nice. I know nothing about this stuff, but I'd be worried about the barrel.

12. striker754

striker754 Chillin

then how can you say you would be worried about the barrel???????

the most accurate way are gauges, but a bullet works fine.

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I thought you ha to worry about pitted barrels with those guys?

yeah see... I just shouldn't have said anything :)

Just ignore me :wiggle:

14. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

That's a pretty good lookin gun.

Shoot the dog piss out of it.

15. Laser Red

Laser Red Slightly above average member

looks good. I bought my garand from CMP and it didn't come soaked in oil. I just cleaned it and shot the fuck out of it. I'd buy it if I were you...mine's got a couple deep gouges in it, but it shoots great. and people at the range get a kick out of shooting it and hearing the ping of the enbloc eject

btw, heres my garand
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

most fun to shoot out of all the guns I've got

16. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

i`de jump on it.damm,i need to get one myself

17. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

So total newbie question but say I wanted an original M1 Garand. Say I have... ~1k.. maybe more to spend. Whats my best bet? Also.. this would be my first firearm... so I'd need help there too.

18. BigBadJohn

Spend about half that and get one through CMP. The one I got ended up being worth a couple hundred more than what I paid. If you pay a private party value, you could get the same condition for more.

19. striker754

striker754 Chillin

time to get some belt feds then

20. BigBadJohn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Low # is my brother's. Barrel has been replaced at the armory, and the stock was so bad we put a different one on it.

High # is mine. All original except the rear sight assembly and the gas tube screw. I am honestly happier with mine than his. His is just so worn

I love shooting it. Its fun as hell, and I seem to hit alot more with this than any other .30 ive used before.

21. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

If you did enough shopping around you may be able to find a "restored" Garand with all correct parts and correct stock cartouche. The earlier the more expensive etc.

22. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

yea but it will never be truly original the way she came from the Armory unless you spend lotsa $$$$.

i say be happy with the way it is and shoot the friggen thing, it was never meant to be a decoration on the wall. for what it's worth i love my 'mixmaster' as they call it.

And Rumple, those were bought from the CMP I assume because I can see the 'read this first' booklet. Did they send the red book and slings as well? If so, I missed out :( What year did you purchase them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. BigBadJohn

Yes, they were. Got them this winter. The book is something my dad let me look at. He has a small library of gun collecting books. And the slings are from him also. Every now and then if he finds some unissued slings that are too good of a deal to pass up he buys them.
    He even has 1 or 2 unissued leather slings, but he put them on his mint Garands. Dont know if he has any more. He may be hoarding them.

24. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Of course it'll never be truly an original (see restored) and of course it'll be expensive. But you have to pay if you want to play.

But the red book is Scot Duffs book on WW2 garands. You can buy it from his website.

http://www.scott-duff.com/index.htm

25. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Rumple are those service grade? If so.. I may have to go about acquiring one once I get a chance.