What do you guys think about having multiple subs in different sizes?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by UNvisible, Mar 17, 2009.

1. UNvisible

UNvisible New Member

I've seen a set up or two with maybe 2-3 8's, and 2 12's or a single 15 for hitting the deeper notes.

What i'm trying to accomplish is a little more noise (this is in a boat).. but I've already got a single 15.. and I can only fit another 12, in a seperate compartment. What are your thoughts on this?

2. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh Guest

you're going for audiophile...in a boat

find a size and buy as many as you can in that style. you'll want to kill yourself having diff sizes especially if they're diff brands/models because you'll never get the frequencies matched.

3. UNvisible

UNvisible New Member

I'm working with serious size constraints here. My main down firing box with a single 15" with a V12 1000w going to it hits nice, but a boat has so much bass cancellation due to the water. Out of the water it SLAMS. I only have one other place left, and I dont think a single 15" will fit there. :hs:

4. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh Guest

honestly i'd sell the 15 and try to do 2 or 3 12's. and are you ported or sealed? and is the box in a sealed area or out in the open?

5. UNvisible

UNvisible New Member

If I could have fit two 12's in the original space, I would have. The current box is a down firing sealed, in an enclosed space, but with air space vents. I'm considering doing a 12" rear firing box (into main cabin firing) that is ported.

6. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh Guest

if at all possible, do a ported in a sealed space (actually where yours is now). it'll make a world of diff having a ported box. but if it's gonna be out in the open, sealed is gonna be your best bet.

what kind of boat is this? that will help me a little :mamoru:

i'm putting two 10's sealed in the bow of my malibu. i have a mid-90's closed bow ski boat and will be building the box into the nose.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

fuck it, put the 12 on there. in a car, it's not normally looked upon as a preferred method. good thing you're working on a boat and the rules are completely different. I'd just slap a box together for the time and play around with placement. find where it gives the best results and then build you a nice enclosure. don't take the 15 out.

like you said, you're going for a little more noise, not audiophile. put the shit in there and smash out.

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Why is it down firing? Most setups I have seen (In a couple friends Baja 23-30ft boats) have the sub(s) in the fiberglass that is below the rear seat which is a bench. They always sound damn good just haveing the space under the seat as the box.

9. c.jawanda

c.jawanda New Member

If i were you, i would 100% go with 2- 10's, you will get a better sound overall

10. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I've got 6- 6.5 sony's and a 12" sub in a sealed box in the back of my boat. Sounds pretty loud to me :) I can be full throttle and hear the music clearly. However, I don't have a wakeboard boat with the tower or else I would be in your shoes wanting more sound.