What do you guys suggest I do in my situation?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TurkeyChicken, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Alright, I know I'm probably going to get flamed by all the hardasses here telling me I should just quit now because I'll give up anyway :mb: :greddy:

I'd like to keep this as serious as possible, so if you're just going to rag on me, please save yourself the trouble and don't respond.

Ok,
    Right now I'm about 5'-11" and weigh around 150lbs. Growing up I was always "in shape." I was an active runner and swimmer for several years. Recently however, i think all the work I do infront of the computer is starting to take its toll on me and I'm not really in shape as much as I used to be.

I want to know what I should do to get back in shape and gain some muscle.

My problem is that I dont think I'm getting a good workout at the gym at my apartmetn complex. Everything there uses cables and I keep reading how you shouldn't use those, but use free weights instead.

That being said, whenever I go to the real gym on campus, there are always huge lines for all the free weight equipment and when I get up there all the broly kids just kinda give me the :ugh: face because I'm so skinny.

So I need to figure out a good way to get started. I've always been picked on for being skinny and never really had the chance to learn the proper ways to gain muscle. I dont know the proper techniques and stuff either.

I guess I'm just looking for any advice you guys could give me. I've been reading through some of the n00b guides in teh F&N archives and thats helping a little.

I've been trying to run a few miles every other day, so hopefully I can keep that up and improve on that too.

2. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Go to a proper gym and not your campus one. It's going to cost you but you won't have to deal with huge lines.

Or find an off-time and go when hardly anyone is there.

3. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

would you suggest a trainer or something to teach me the proper ways to do things?

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

trainers can be both hurtful and helpful. it depends on the quality of the trainer naturaly.

there are plenty of places to check on form/technique. go to www.exrx.com and check that out. dont take their animations as the word of god. some of the technique is flawed but it shows basic form and stuff. read read read. everything u can. read stickies and the archives.

5. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

you dont need a trainer. pt's usually make you do stupid gimmicky cable shit with a ball and cable crossovers.

anyway, find a better time to go to the school gym ( i used to go around 9-10am and it was usually dead until 2). or spend money on a better gym. pick up a routine off of f&n and search for proper form. or you can go to exrx.net and they have all the .gifs on lifts that you can somewhat gauge how to do them properly.

get the right diet also

6. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

7. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Trainers vary from gym to gym and person to person. If you have no idea what you're doing, they're not a horrible idea for someone just starting out. At least they'll familiarize you with equipment and show you how to do some things.

OR the best thing you can do is find a friend or someone who know who already lifts and get them to help you out.

8. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

5 11 150??!?!?!

Wholy crap... Your a bean pole.

Im 5'11 195lb right now.
    Im trying to get to 180lb.. 175lb MAX before I decide if I want to bulk.

150 I would be a dead bag of bones.

9. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

[​IMG]

:wtc:

10. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

grow a beard and get fake tats, ride a harley to the gym.....just jump in line then and get your 5lb plates at the ready.

11. velamint

velamint Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon

thats really helpful

12. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

Um, stop running -- start eating and lifting weights.
    I should take my own advice.

13. scholar

scholar New Member

I am 150 and 6'3. :mamoru:

Don't be worried about all the brolys giving you funny looks. As long as you are doing good exercises with good form etc then no one has the right to laugh at you. If they do then they are just immature and insecure.

They're probably just :ugh: because of the long lines. Try and go during off-peak times, they vary from gym to gym though. Make sure you aren't doing stupid shit though, other people will :ugh: at you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.