MMA What do you guys grab on to when locking a gogoplata?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by rtzcom, Mar 13, 2009.

1. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

Do you guys grab on to your foot or with both hands behind the other person's head (with a gable grip)? I was taught the latter when I attended a class with ATT.

Do any of you guys use the gogoplata as a high percentage finishing move or just a threat/transition to something else?

2. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I think it depends on your flexibility. If you're talking locking it in I grab behind their head and pull while pushing my shin out. I should work on using it as a transition, but wouldn't that be better done with a omoplata? I don't understand the concept of grabbing onto your ankle though.

3. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I pull the head down with both hands, and push up with the shin. Sort of like Nick Diaz's gogo.

4. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

grab the head.. but yeah not a super high percentage thing. the person usually turns the other way into the omo plata

5. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

6. kroneX

kroneX New Member

arn't you the guy who just posted one of your first gi fights on here?

Work on the basics before you even begin to worry about gogoplatas otherwise your long term game is going to be shit if you can't master the basics.

Srsly

7. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

bon is mostly an mma/nogi guy. i dont feel that the gogo is too wild and advanced for nogi. especially for someone flexible, i catch people in these sometimes or use it as a setup for an omoplata > sweep.
    if youre on the mat regularly its ok to play around with different techniques. no harm.

8. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Its all well and good to play around with other techniques, but time spent doing that is time better spent practicing the basics, especially after viewing his last fight.

9. Redneck Shinobi

10. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Im just saying he should be more concerned with the basics at this point. Its nothing against him, but should he concentrate on those moves his long term bjj game is going to suffer. Its wise advice

11. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

speaking of basics.... this is a good mount drill.

[y]eKGPWq5X7_I[/y]

12. chechen

i hate to say it.. but im finding myself agreeing with kronex more and more

13. chechen

the mount drill is good

14. Kuet

Kuet New Member

mr. know it all :ughj:

15. Kuet

Kuet New Member

I dont see how wanting to know a move is such a bad thing- its like muay thai- your not going to tell the guy to not try a spinning move or a high kick just cause he doesnt have the basics down are you? Why is it so diff in BJJ..... :hsugh:

16. chechen

wanting to know it for purely for curiosity is just fine..

trying to do it in sparring as a beginner is a complete waste of time. The fundamentals in BJJ take a lifetime to master, and beginners are obsessed over anything which involves you pulling your foot to your face.

As a beginner in BJJ i was looking for shortcuts or fancy techniques all the time. I thought the reason I couldnt beat people was because I had to surprise them with something weird. I really inhibited my own growth trying to learn weird leglocks .. flying attacks, and crap like that. What I needed was someone to sit down with me and tell me to learn to pass the freaking guard. The basics are boring.. they are still boring to me lots of the time. but thats what REALLY works in jiu jitsu.

This is why eddie bravo's beginner suck BAD. they are learning nothing but weird fancy techniques.. and all of that goes to the trash without solid fundamentals.

17. Redneck Shinobi

Okay but looking at your game chechen you are not styled for those flashy moves. I've never rolled with you, but watching you videos you're more about positioning and sweeping. Everyone is also unique and he isn't saying he is only learning flashy crap and that was your mistake and not his.

I honestly don't believe a gogoplata is that advanced for someone who has been training no gi as long as bon. It's not like he's drilling flying triangles or armbars, it's a pretty basic/intermediate thing to do in no gi. I am flexable for my size and rock the gogoplatas whenever I can. I find you get better positioning than going for a triangle if they defend it.

I do feel he should focus on other stuff, but where in his posts are you and kronex getting this impression that's all he does? I'm positive he is learning all the basic stuff and just wants a broader knowledge of other moves.

18. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Like chechen said, learning the basic moves takes a lifetime to master. The gogo is a fancyish move, how often do you see it pulled off in high level competition? yet alone learn it. It would be like me teaching someone an Uchi Mata as a yellowbelt or something. It can be done, but its going to stunt the guys growth and knowledge in the long term of other fundamentals which he should be developing at that time instead of the uchi mata.

That and you barely train at all, so i hardly think your in a position to talk about these issues. I havn't seen chechens videos, but he is right when he says its the basics that work. If you ever go to or witness high level comp you will realize is that everyone is sticking with the fundamentals such Posture, hips and grips.

19. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I never said i was a know it all, but this is a guy who was wondering about how to pull of the x guard and now gogos

Like i said a million times, if you lack the fundamentals your entire game is going to suck. Thats what you should be working on in the beginning, and even that in itself takes forever to master.

Just out of curiosity what belt are you in bjj, because i am pretty sure anyone above blue belt would see that my points are pretty obvious in practical sense.

20. kroneX

kroneX New Member

He wanted to learn the x guard a couple of weeks ago iirc... enough said

21. chechen

in the end you can take whatever you want to take out of your training.. but i think the fastest road to real improvement are the fundamentals..

rubber guard and gogoplatas are not fundamentals.

anyway i dont really care.. its just my two cents and ill leave it at that

22. Redneck Shinobi

I barely train so my advice isn't relevant? You obviously don't know me or where I stand and you believed me when I replied to your post with sarcasm. I don't give a shit what you or anyone else here thinks, I know where I am. I've seen gogoplatas pulled off in comps before so it's not like they are so out there. Learning it isn't going to stunt his growth, and he's been doing nogi for years, where it's pretty fucking common.

You posted in MLA's thread where he does a similar technique of a gogo and gets the guy off mount and you found that good. I don't see how getting that flexability and speed is going to fuck you up in any shape or form. I am going to say it again I am sure he is learning the basics and the fact that he made that xguard post (more like a few months ago btw not weeks) doesn't make it like he's only learning intermediate/advanced stuff. The fact that he's been doing nogi for years should give him a good enough base anyway.

I do agree with basics, but I have no doubt again (for the third fucking time) he is learning them.

23. Optamix

Optamix New Member

DOT

Wanting to learn a gogo isn't going to stunt his game. No doubt his instructor is teaching him basics.

I didn't learn rubber guard stuff from anywhere but online and through books. Same for a lot of my half guard game. I use and hit it in live rolls all the time.

24. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

I hit a gogo last night from mount. Go me!

25. Redneck Shinobi

I have only hit that once and the second time I tried I got swept :wtc:. I'll never forget Aoki in dream nailing that one from mount it was so fucking beautifully done.

I know what you mean. I was lucky enough when I was training back at home to have Eddie Bravo come to our school and do a seminar. I didn't know shit about it before then, but have a good understanding now.

I think half guard is a good place to drill from. I notice a lot of people will get in half guard and then not be able to get back to full guard or just flat out get mounted. I think chechen has a sick half guard game.(pretty sure it was chechen that I seen sweeping the shit outta f-g or someone with half guard., could be wrong though.)