SRS what do you do when your family doesnt believe in you

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MudRacer4x4, Sep 10, 2007.

1. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

or encourage you and always puts you down and therefore makes you feel like shit. Because of them i'm now terrified of failing.

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

You say fuck em. Because if you believe in yourself that is all that matters.

3. vitamin dew

vitamin dew New Member

Use it as motivation to prove them wrong.

4. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

Ultimately how far you get in life is not for anyone, except for yourself.
    So yeah it hurts, but really you gotta have selective hearing sometimes.
    Let em bark like dogs, and just work harder to reach whatever goals you have set for yourself.

5. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

its just hard getting no guidance what so ever

6. scolls

scolls New Member

I am in your exact same position. It has really effected my life, but I have decided finally to just go on by myself. I at least have a sister who cares and is supportive. My parents have totally disowned her, but that is a whole other story

7. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

prove em wrong

8. QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts New Member

Figuratively speaking I'm the sister in my family who is disowned.
    My parents expected so much of me and no matter how hard I tried there was always one thing I forgot.
    You will eventually fail, and the words, "Fuck you" will roll off the tongue much easier, You learn you can make it without the guidance and still choose a good path.

9. scolls

scolls New Member

My mom is old fashioned and she got pissed when my sister got pregnant without getting married, even though she had a well paying job, and a fiance. Well the fiance turned on her, and long story short, he caused her to miscarry and my mom for some reason called my sister a whore, and that in turn pissed me off to no end, so I've decided to move on without parents.

10. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Just because they are the same blood as you doesn't make it okay for them to talk to you like that. And because they are your family, it naturally has a much more profound affect on you than if it was some stranger.

If my family discouraged me to do something I wanted to do, in any way, I would say goodbye and never be around them again.

Distance yourself from people who are pessimistic about life. It's contagious.

11. scolls

scolls New Member

Also I don't know if you were under the impression I disowned my sister because that is not the case. My sister and I are very close and good friends.

12. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

yeah its really hard. especially because they will be paying for my schooling. i hope this doesnt ruin my life. i'm so scared of failing

13. johan

johan Active Member

Where did you get the ideas that families are supportive, wise, enlightened, kind, communicative and a positive influence in your life?

SOME families are like that... true. Sometimes a single family member might be like that for you.

But many simply don't have anything, and families are instead dysfunctional, jealous, small-minded, petty and seek to tear you down, so you stay at the level of everyone else.

So you can derive support and advice from friends or mentors or people you otherwise look up to.
    These last two are quite common sources of support for many people, and rarely are they found from inside your family of origin. Even if you had a great family.

And finally, ultimately, it comes from inside. Sorry to say, but that's it.

Family sucks? JOIN THE CLUB. Triumph anyways, in spite of it all.
    People do it all the time. You can be one of those people.