What do you do when a cage fucks with you?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Emanon, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Cruising today and had a cage decide he wanted to ride my ass. Slowed down and stared into my mirror to let him know I saw him and to back off. I then went back up to speed to get some space between us.....of course he guns it right back onto my ass.

Ended up slowing down so he would get in the other lane and pulled up beside him and just stared at him. Yeah I know tough guy :big grin: Just didn't see a point of saying or making any jesters at the kid. Well I stayed on right beside him till he started to act like he was calling 911. Just laughed and turned off.

Got to the house and told the wife about it and of course she freaks saying how dangerous that was. :rolleyes: She did make a good point.....he was threatening me with a deadly weapon. Tap my rear tire and I could be under his in no time. In the end it just pissed me off how careless the kid was. Hope he doesn't hurt any other bikers or cagers.

Cliffs: Young kid in Jetta riding on my ass. Just stared at him till he acted like he was going to call the cops.

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Avoid ANY situation between a bike and a car.
    All it takes is one pissed off nutcase behind the wheel of a car running into your ass and you're fucked.

If someone's riding your ass, pull off and let him go by.
    Roadrage is a growing problem and there are too many Billy Badasses on bikes thinking they are quicker and can get away from a car when they start fucking around (kicking, hitting mirrors/doors, chucking rocks or pennies etc.) only to find themselves sitting at a stopsign later with someone pissed as hell coming up behind them in a car ready to just plow into them.

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I was about to get on the highway this morning coming down a four lane street and on my way to a 20 bike group ride. A car in the left lane is turning, the car behind him is stuck there, so I go around them. Hit the on ramp and there's the Sentra I passed and he's on. my. ass. So I turned around just to let him know I see what he's doing, the stare of death usually works- but not on him.

I go 6 exits, about 10 miles- every lane change, everytime I speed up or slow down he was on my tire the whole fucking way. Great way to start a Sunday when I planned on doing about 200 more miles. :hs:

He even tried to fake me out following me on the off ramp, and pulled back on to the highway at the last second. Fucking maniac cagers. :ugh2:

And I eventually got the group ride, where I was the only one without a jacket.

4. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

What were you hoping to accomplish by staying on him and staring him down? It's profoundly stupid to fight with a car. If someone gives you problems you should use your speed and agility to get away from them and distance yourself. Pull off and cool down if you have to. Do anything except retaliate. That is moronic.

5. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Usually I can just let off the throttle a little and the driver notices that I'm uncomfortable with how close they are and back off. This kid just WANTED to be that close which .......yeah ticked me off a little but nothing like road rage. I wish I could have got to a stop sign. I would just say "hey man give me a little room....if I go down with you that close I'm a dead man". Of course never know these days.......kid could have taken that as a threat and who knows.

The oddest thing of it all........he had a "occ" sticker. No chance in hell he rides. Not with how he was treating another biker.

Ohhh well just venting I guess in the end you are right Verm....always try the best to avoid these situations.

6. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Really nothing but let the kid know that he was WAY too close to a bike. I really didn't think that was retaliation. :dunno:

7. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Yeah I can usually give eye contact or let off the throttle and 99.9999% of the time they realize that they are too close and back off. I understand it is easy to get up close to use.

8. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I've got a couple things I'll do, depending on whether it's day or night...

if it's light out, I'll get a little distance on them and then clutch/rear brake and leave a decent stripe, getting a bit sideways... yeah it eats tires but it gets them off your ass.

if it's dark out, I'll touch down my toe, which has steel on it. sparks bouncing off your hood tends to get you to back off.

9. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Funny you say about the sparks. Was telling a friend what happend .........he said it was a shame I didn't have a center stand because if people ride his ass he will kick down his center stand. Puts on a good show :big grin:

10. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Yea, don't even throttle back, if the person tailgating is in a rush to get somewhere, that's only going to piss them off and get them closer to you.
    Yea it's frustrating and maddening, but people these days are fucking crazy.

Oh, and as for the stoplight thing, don't. There was a thread in the gun forum about a biker who got off his bike to tell off some lady in an SUV and he got shot.

Take a breath, pull off and let them go by, forget about them and go back to riding. :)

11. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

yeah i try not to fuck with people anymore cause last time someone did shit like that i flipped her off she flipped me off and proceeded to swerve a little into my lane

12. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I was trying to avoid him, defensive driving is always my foremost concern. Freaks me the fuck out when people ride my ass, and I just know they don't realize how much damage it would cause if they fuck up.

:werd:

Hitting a biker isn't just a couple of bumper scuffs and insurance swap, fucking worthless cagers don't realize that.

13. 7960

7960 New Member

pull in a driveway, take an off ramp, get in a u-turn lane and go the other way. hell, just straight-up pull over and stop if you have to.

anything you "do" back only puts you in danger.

14. 7960

7960 New Member

sorry, but both of these are stupid.

15. squid

squid braap

Twist the throttle and GTFO. Or stop and call 911 if he's genuinely trying to kill you.

16. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

they might be stupid but they work.

17. 7960

7960 New Member

jumping off your seat and landing on his hood Matrix-style would work, too, but that would also be stupid.

18. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Many people DO realize that and that's the problem with people in this thread. They assume cagers are just stupid (and yes, many are) but many also know exactly what a car will do to a bike and count on the biker knowing too and backing down when they are intimidated.

It's simple, YOU can do a little body damage or crack a window, big whoop. THEY can run your ass over and kill you dead and drive off never to be found. So no matter what you do short of shooting the driver, you cannot win...

and by you escalating what was originally not a contact situation that you could have just avoided completely, you could be pushing someone who's on the edge already over it to the point they don't give a shit about knocking you off the road. Hell, depending on what happens, they could even claim they did it in "self defense" like the lady who shot the biker who got off his bike to yell at her.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  19. LiveSideways

LiveSideways Two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmer

I try to avoid as many situations as I can but if I'm on a crowded freeway I can easily cruise down I'll stick my fist out and clip a mirror if they really deserve it. I'm super mellow and it takes alot to piss me off so that's really rare though.

I had some lady chase me for a few blocks literally trying to ram into me because she thought I clipped her car coming up to a light, when in all actuallity I had just clunked to first all loud while I was passing her. Being able to rip down sidewalks and through parks to avoid insane people ftw.

20. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Stop talking sense! We will have none of that here!

21. reddeth

reddeth New Member

If I get tailgated I try to just safely pull over and let them pass, it's not worth fighting with them over.

I've punched mirrors and kicked doors, mostly though because the person didn't see me and was about to pancake me. Wasn't to be a tough guy, just didn't feel like getting any asphalt tattoos haha.

22. Hahawhat?

Hahawhat? New Member

Try having a 18 wheeler not see you on the freeway and merge into your lane when your 1/2-3/4 next to it. Never did a stoppie till then and it didn't get too high but scared the shit out of me and i was within a foot of the back of it when he completely merged. I don't hold it against him but i was mad/scared. some people just don't realise how stupid they drive, give them a break maybe shake your head at them and call it a day.

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Rule #2, A semi has very big blind spots. If a cargo van can sit inside one without being seen, then you bet your ass a motorcycle can not only sit in one, but will take awhile to pass through it.

NEVER ride next to a semi. period. Either stay behind it, or pass it quickly after flicking your lights from high to low before you pass so he sees you and knows.

As a Semi driver I can tell you from personal experience that motorcycles around a semi is beyond dangerous.
    A bike can come up on a semi fast and never be seen by the driver, literally, due to the narrowness of the bike. Then if that biker does a quick lane change and guns it, he's jumped from the rear blind spot to the side blindspot in a split second. The truck driver never sees him.

It's the bike rider's responsibility to avoid putting himself into situations like that.

24. Trey-D

Trey-D New Member

this is what i would do.

25. Chiron

Chiron New Member

I didn't read most of the responses, if someone said something similar, oh well. Regardless...

Its called THE RIGHT OF WEIGHT. You will lose. In general:

-When you are being tailgated, increase your following distance from the vehicle in front of you, do not try to speed up to get them off of your tail if it means you are losing available distance in ahead of you. You want your options open.

-Diffuse the situation ASAP. Let them by, take a right turn, etc.

-Do not move the to right portion of your lane. Position 3 for some of the MSF people.

Disclaimer: These are general guidelines. Freak situations may change these concepts.