MMA what do you do to gain any position starting from the knees??

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by SHORTSHIFTER, Oct 10, 2006.

1. SHORTSHIFTER

SHORTSHIFTER Old School Lurker

we start from the knees.. and i am not the biggest person in the world so i cant normally muscle the guy down

what do you guys do to start off???

i am tired of getting tossed around and having to fight from the bottom...

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

learn to hand fight, and try and get good head control, wrist control, and head positioning. I guess im trying to say it comes w/ practice...

3. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

ask Rich Franklin, lol.

4. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i try to grab the neck and one arm, then push them over to get side, but i've only been able to do this with smaller guys, with bigger guys i just pull guard :o

5. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

if i watn to be on top.. i sweep the guy. if i know i cant sweep him and i want to learn how to pass.. ask him to pull guard.

its stupid to practice takedowns off the knees. one of you guys just pull guard and work from there

6. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

You could bodyslam your opponent like it was done to me last night. :o

7. DSPNLM

DSPNLM New Member

work for an underhook and plant one knee on the ground and step the other leg forward and to the opposite side of your underhook (you'll be in sort of a hip toss position but on your knees), push a little bit into your partner to throw them off their base a little, then push with your hip and the underhooked shoulder and you can end up in side mount. It won't work very well with people substantially larger than you because it will be hard to get the leverage to throw them off base. If you're working with an experienced grappler who can keep their base well it won't work too well either, but it's an option.

8. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

some times i use the arm pull. get head control, grab the back on their bicep and push their knee with the opposite leg from you pulling on their arm. usually lets me get their back.

9. teep

teep New Member

Weird variation of a headlock (weird because you're on your knees), duck under, ankle pick, butterfly guard and try to sweep, head snap to front headlock....That's pretty much my entire game from my knees. Don't do much else. Sometimes if I'm just screwing around or if nothing else is working I'll just push him on to his back and will grab his foot, cartwheel over, and go for a toe hold.

10. Bausk

Bausk New Member

We start from the knees for grappling unless you want to work on MMA or takedowns. We usually don't start standing up for grappling sparring because our mats aren't the greatest for being thrown down hard on. They aren't bad by any means, but not entirely the best judo type mats.

11. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

be carefull though guys, a couple nights ago 2 guys started from their knees and one got pushed backwards, fell on his ankles and broke both of them. Now our instructor always has us start with one leg, on knee down.

12. Bausk

Bausk New Member

freak accident

13. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I personally think trying to work doing takedowns from the knees are pointless. I just pull guard everytime I start on my knees with anyone.

14. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I hate starting from the knees, being familiar with wrestling I would rather stand up and shoot or sprawl. If I cant muscle the guy over or step across his body and hip 'throw' him to side control, ill usually just sit back and work the open guard. I dont feel like im learning anything clinching on my knees.

15. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

the guy needs to work on his flexibility aswell but i guess it's a bit late for that now.