What do you do for data redundancy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tempus, Mar 2, 2004.

1. tempus

tempus Going quietly insane. OT Supporter

This is with regards to home computing data, not business data. I'm amazed at how people think hard drives will last forever. The average user doesn't appear to ever do backups, which I find to be a scary situation, considering hard drives aren't really designed to last more than a few years. People often have one drive in their computer, and never think about it.

Backing up data via CD-R quickly went away for me, due to the sheer volume of data. My music collection alone would take about thirty CDs, I gather. I got a DVD burner, but hardly think that's a great choice either. Besides, the reports are scary at how long recordable media actually lasts. I'd hate to make an archive, go back to it in two years, and find that the CDs / DVDs were unreadable.

I previously ran all my data on a linux file server, with RAID 1 for the data. Sadly, I'm between linux servers right now, as the motherboard gave up hope after a meager four years of service.

Before telling myself it was overkill, I thought I should have a RAID 5 hot-swap disk system, rsyncing the data nightly to an external USB disk as well. (At least I wasn't thinking of doing daily full / weekly incremental backups to tape, and dropping a set every other week at a bank safe deposit box.)

Online backup is too slow / too costly when data exceeds a few gigs, and disk solutions pretty much will fail at some point, so keeping data seems to be a constant battle. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm overthinking it. ;)

So I toss it to the OT community -- what do you do for data safeguarding? Obviously there's a tradeoff between convenience and timeliness (recent backups as opposed to an every once-in-a-while); there's also a tradeoff between the cost of a solution and the value of your data. What do people here do?

2. 1999TL

1999TL Guest

I'm about to do a Raid 5 system...it will satisfy a few of my needs all at once.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I just backup.. I don't have much data to save, etc.. so CD-R works fine.

Raid may be a good solution for you.

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

CD-R is enough for me at the moment. I will be going to DVD-R in the next few months.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Data lives on a mirror set. I xcopy to a firewire disk every couple of days. Absolutely critical stuff gete copied to alternating DVD-RWs every week or so. One DVD-RW is in my car as a off-site backup.

6. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

You worry about your data too much... just backup the important things.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Teh floppy can nevar lose!

8. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

4 Seagate 160GB SATA Drives connected to a Promise FastTrak S150 TX4 Raid-5 Controller - Setup in a RAID-5 configuration currently, though I may switch that over to a RAID-0+1 just for grins :coold:

I have around 300GB of data (files, archives, documents, etc.) that I really need to write a program to sort through and catalogue based on extension and file size - won't take long to write, I just have too many other projects right at the moment to do it :hs:

I've also got a couple of huge SQL databases from development projects on the array, and my pagefile on a small partition :fawk:

I need to move back to Win2k3 Server, though, it's better than Win2k Server :hsd:

9. reverse

reverse hooooooooo

(4) WD1200JB's (WD 120GB) in RAID-5 on a 3ware 7500-4 controller.

I have some extra 3ware controllers if anyone wants, 2 8500-8's and a 7500-4.

10. tempus

Sadly, I don't think RAID is enough. I worry about file system corruption too, from which, alas, RAID will not save your skin. :p Hence the need for an actual backup scheme, I suppose. I'm probably just a little too paranoid about data. Next I'll probably be worrying about housing structure, lest a satellite fall out of the sky and take out my computer.

11. Scoob_13

Get a tape backup drive then :)

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The trick with non image backup systems is to ensure your documents are always in one place.

13. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

rpweb, i think you are being way to paranoid. i have many cdr's that have lasted over 2yrs. if you make a backup of files on 2 different dvdrs, the chances are in your favor that in 2yrs one of them will be perfectly fine.

14. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:slap:

15. Scoob_13

I was kidding for the most part.

The most part being the fact that I have a completely legal license for 2003 Enterprise Server, and I have a developers license for 2k Server :hs:

And since I'm actually attempting to do this one by the book ( :ugh: ) I was going for legal :wtc:

16. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'm a fan of distributed storage.

If its on my notebook and its something I would miss if the notebook died/stolen, then I store it in a 2nd location on the network. Same goes for my PCs. If its on the PC, it gets stored on the Linux box. If its on the Linux box and is critical, I'll store it on a PC (when possible). There's somethings I'm willing to live without, for everything else I find another hard drive.

17. tempus

I can't speak for CD-R or DVD+-R media, but I worry, considering how some CD-R media can go awry very quickly. Here's an interesting link on cd-r lifespan. Make sure you avoid the generic stuff, I guess!

I'm guessing that DVD media can last longer, especially if you pay for it.

18. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

DVD's for me. It's not like I will be homeless if I lose my data though. Mainly mp3's/game/programs. Nothing I can't download again. :)