What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Here is a description of what I do.

I figured out how to programmatically sync to and read data from an analog NTSC signal today on a 100mhz DSP with a total of 6... count them 6... clock cycles per pixel acquisition time. Syncing the ADC to the video signal so that the start of conversion occured at the same time was a bitch due to the processors pipeline... Originally rows would be offset by up to 4 pixels due to the 1 of 4 possible states of the pipe upon entering the assembly acquisition loop.

The loop itself uses a branch on non-zero with a predecrimented register comparison in 4 cycles, fastest possible I have deduced after pouring over the instruction set, and then I use 2 cycles to copy the ADC result register to a memory buffer. This loops for 300 pixels in one line, after which certain math is performed on the array (shifting the value into the correct 64-color grayscale run on the palette, packing two 8 bit palette indexes into 16 bits, and writing to video memory). This all occurs during the next line, which is missed. The following line is offset by one so we leave a blank, I needed the time to process the data read from the last line. When a full interleaved frame is drawn I wait for the next frame sync, start on the odd lines and fill those in in a similar manner. At the end of both even line and odd line frames I take a full frames worth of time to apply post processing effects. So in the end we get real time software based 30 frames per second NTSC video on a 100mhz DSP with only enough ram to cache a single line at a time. And since it is a complete software solution I can apply all kinds of effects to the image in real time. I have already developed brightness/contrast adjustment and infinetely variable zooming on the horizontal and verticle axes independently. I am also planning on performing certain statistical analysis of the image to attempt to auto center on a specific point of interest and also to determine the degree of contamination (the video is coming from a scope probe, used to analyze the physical connections in a fiber optic link)

2. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

ITT we act like children and repeat whatever the last person said

4. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Perfect example of what would happen if you tried to have a serious discussion about defferential equations with a 5 year old.

Covering up your ignorance of what I am even talking about by dismissing it as humerous, instead of giving examples of the type of things you do that are so much more difficult, because there aren't any. I know peyomp works with data warehousing, so difficult, was the easiest topic in the entire CS curriculum. IT is to CS what criminal justice is to lawschool. And gogzilla you mentioned you work in embedded systems care to describe what you do?

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

codex, the joke is that we don't really care. we aren't impressed by what you do because it carries much more weight to see how rude you are towards people and how superior you like to act. anyone that i've met who likes to tear down the things that others do or likes to brag has had some sort of inferiority complex that they were trying to deal with.

my recommendation is to just make your comments in your thread while leaving out the "i'm so much smarter than you" or the "people who like X are assholes" or just be prepared for people to write you off.

7. marstaton4

marstaton4 OT Supporter

I do video work, more and more freelance but work fulltime for a local news station as a satellite uplink engineer and photographer.

8. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Software Engineering student, 2nd year.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

hahahaha.

funny, but ibtl.

10. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

And do nerdy stuff, and sometimes I get paid and sometimes I don't.

11. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

codex is still a child living in a man's world

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.