SRS What do you consider a "Best Friend?"

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by daaarn, Jul 11, 2007.

1. daaarn

daaarn New Member

i've always been a little bit bothered by the title "best friend" just b/c it's often times a misnomer, as many people have more than 1 "best" friend. but nowadays i seem to hear it thrown about so liberally that it seems to encompass anyone who's more than a passing acquaintance. and having too many "best" friends kinda dilutes that title's importance IMHO.

personally, i'm not too big on labeling when it comes to people i know. generally i just keep it pretty basic: like people i see only at school or work are just acquaintances, while i consider anyone i can hang out with a friend. but naturally, some friends are closer than others, but i've never actually used the term "best friend" to label any of those friends, at least i havent in a long time.

i mean, it's kinda weird, i have some close friends who i only go do stuff with and party with and then i have some other close friends who i only talk about important stuff with. yet i honestly can't think of anyone that's a mix of those two that i'd actually consider a "best" friend tho. i bring this up b/c i remembered a friend telling me once they considered me their best friend, but now that i think about it, we're really not that close.

so what do you consider "best friend" material?

2. runawaycamel

runawaycamel New Member

This is a good point, and far too often I hear people mentioning their 'best' friend/s and then a few months later hearing about another 'best' friend. It is definitly annoying.

I have only 1 person that Ive considered a best friend since middle school, and I still do.

So...what I could say about best friends is this... A best friend takes time. You need to be able to live without them, knowing that at any time you can call them up and things will be just the same. To be considered best friend material in my book...you need to be 100% comfortable with them, and feel able to say anything. Both people should feel secure knowing that they are always their for each other, but don't necessarily have to be with each other 24/7.

3. Gek

Gek Go for broke

it's the friend that's sitting next to you in jail , rather than the friend you're calling to get out of jail.

4. BigC

BigC New Member

If I kill someone. And when I tell my best friend, he responds...I'll bring the shovels.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I don't like the term best friend either because it's singular and like you said, there are many people that I'm really close to. Now there are times, where for emphasis of the relationship, I'll call this person my best friend....to indicate that they are more than just a casual friend....otherwise, I don't use the phrase.

I've never found a need to define it further.

The phrase I like to describe a friend is that a friend is someone who walks in the room when the rest of the world just walked out.

6. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

I just say my close friend

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I hate the term best friend

8. daaarn

daaarn New Member

yeah, this whole topic about having a "best friend" just kinda came out of the blue when i recently heard a relative was invited to be in one of his friend's wedding party as a groomsman. that just kinda got me thinking how weird that would be to decide something like that. i mean, first you'd have to select which friends are really close enough to be in your wedding party, and then you'd more or less have to select one of those to be the best man/maid of honor (siblings notwithstanding). hell, at this point of my life, i'd have no idea who i'd even pick to be groomsmen muchless a best man.

9. jonno

jonno New Member

honestly, who really gives a shit? it's just a word/title... focus on the actual relationship with a person and what you call it won't matter.

10. wicked max

wicked max New Member

I was in the same boat as you, until I found the current one. Well i don't know what it would qualify under, but it's a weird one (in my eyes). She is the first person I talk to in the morning, usually 5/7 days in the week (she'll let me sleep on my days off, until she thinks it's time for me to get up :hs:). The whole day will be full of texts, calls, and whatnot. I'll probably go hangout at her place about twice a week. Almost every evening, will be on the phone until it's time to sleep( it's ranged from half an hour to 4 hours). The longest we go without talking is probably 8 hours, but never past a day. She buys me lunch most of the time, drinks, and sometimes dinner(I rarely do it). I know she has a fuckton of friends, but somehow she chooses to invlove me. It's a weird one alright.

11. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

best friend imo theres only one u cannot have more then one it just doesnt make any sense to me

12. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

It really doesn't matter. I have good friends, I have friends, and then I have acquaintances. I have several good friends, multiple friends, and many acquaintances.

That's usually how the split goes. It's hard to say this one more than anyone is my "best" friend, so I usually stay away from it.

But, truly, deep down, there should always be one person that you can talk to at any time and they will listen, and be able to speak your mind and say anything and they will sit down and listen.

You will know when you find one who that is.

13. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

a good friend will bail you out of jail

your best friend will be sitting there with you going "That was fucking awesome!"

14. bimmer318

bimmer318 I'm out of applesauce

I have 1 best friend I've known since high school, rest are just acquantances..

15. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

"What does friend mean to you?
    A word so wrongfully abused"

just some lyrics from one of my favorite 90's songs. i do believe in the term "best friend". I only have one, and it will always be that way. I am also close to his brother, but I dont call his brother my best friend. Just one dude. Hes the one I go to for everything and vise versa. We keep eachothers asses out of trouble but party at the same time.

16. Takitome

Takitome New Member

Have few friends, some associates and one best friend.

I like the word best friend, I think of it like a soulmate or something.

Overused word? Maybe when you're younger.. You hardly hear it anymore when you get older. People call eachother friends then cause it's impolite infront of other "friends" or such? No I have no idea, but I rarely hear older people use the word.

17. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey New Member

My husband is my best friend and I have a close friend who is more like a sister then anything else. Other then that though, everyone else is just a friend.

18. tidalxwave

tidalxwave WWKD? OT Supporter

best friend guy - someone to kick it with no matter what you're doing, you can be watching ants for all i care and still have a good time, down for you take a bullet - pick you up when you're car is flat-tired

best friend girl - well, this can be a tricky one...basically the girl knows everything about you and you know everything about her .. literally everything inside and out, haha..and plus everything above said in the best friend guy section.

19. theReal2man

theReal2man New Member

true story

20. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I dont do the whole best friend thing. It's more a matter of who I trust my life with more. The more they have gained my trust the better the friend and more they can know about it. It seems to have worked well so far.

21. afterShock81

afterShock81 If I could only have one food for the rest of my l

When you randomly call and say "I'm at the airport.....i need a ride" - they drop what they're doing and come get your ass