What do you audiophiles think of this deal? v. Is this Denon worth $1,000??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Xicculus, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

I am setting up my home theatre and got a quote from a stereo guy for the following:

Denon AVR 587 Receiver

Proficient S8 powered Subwoofer

10 smaller speaker - 4 stands with 2 speakers on each stand plus a couple of small box speakers on Sanus or Atlantic stands

plus delivery and installation, all for $1,000

Is this a fair price? I don't know much about anything A/V related

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

what brand speakers?

that speaker config sounds weird to me

the 587 is the cheapest receiver denon has to offer, 300 list, no real fluctuations on that price online

you can get a pioneer vsx-1016tvx for less online and its performance is just as good if not better

you could also consider going 2-channel from the get go, using better front speakers and upgrading to surround as time goes on

and as far as install goes unless you are doing something tricky setting up your system is just finding places to put things and then connecting them together, use the directions and dont worry about installation costs i assure you its easy

3. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

The speakers don't have a brand on them, but it says Sanus on the stands - does Sanus just make the stands or also the speakers?

The set up is pretty decent - two stands, one on either side of the tv with two speakers each, and then two stands one on either side of the couch, with two speakers each.

As for it being the lowest of teh Denons, does that really matter? I mean, isn't Denon a great brand to begin with?

4. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

Sanus only makes tv and speaker stands.

I would do as suggested above.
    Get the pioneer vsx-1016tvx and some really nice front speakers and just upgrade along the way.
    I'm glad I did it this way even though it did take longer to get everything I wanted.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i would strongly suggest knowing speakers they are, sanus is a furnishings company, a decent good value one but you need to get the 411 on those speakers.

if you get 2 good front speakers, IE cheapish floor standers or middle of the road bookshelfs (i am ranking the price in the grand scheme of things middle of the road bookshelfs are still good) then you will experience a deeper and more expansive soundstange, better dynamics, more clarity, etc, especially at this price point where jumps in price reward greater performance.

denons are good and i dont doubt their lowest model i was just telling you so you know more about it.

two speakers each on each side of the tv? this is confusing to me, are you saying 2 speakers within 1 cabinet or 2 seperate speaker enclosures? if there are 2 sets of front enclosures then this could have all sorts of problems, the only thing that comes to mind when i think of this are those small Bose speaker cubes that are angled differently and sit ontop of each other.

if that happens to be the case dont buy bose. There is basically a boycott on that company many people take part in and for good reasons that I dont feel like going into but ill atleast say they are driven primarily by clever marketing campaigns.

6. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

I never liked the Bose system I had in my Acura so I know what you mean. This is the set up so far, sorry bout the size of the pics, I'm trying to figure out how to resize them using Mac's iPhoto. (the little wooden stand down under the tv won't be there for much longer :mamoru: )

Speakers in the front

[​IMG]

Speakers next to the couch

[​IMG]

and on the other side

[​IMG]

7. Zeromancer

so the speakers brand are still unknown?
    I wouldn't ever buy any speakers unless I know the name brand and did some research on them.

Hopefully though, they sound good to your ears.

8. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

yeah I was kind of hoping someone would be able to identify them from the pic :hsd:

9. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

Forgot about this guy:

[​IMG]

10. Zeromancer

pics of subwoofer

11. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Zeromancer