What do you all think of the Volvo S40?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by red97gst, Mar 13, 2006.

1. red97gst

red97gst New Member

The local "zipcar" car "sharing" (rental) company has these around for rentals. I rented one for the 2nd time yesterday on a little road trip.

Very nice cars, i found the build quality of the paneling and interior to be quite nice, and i think it's got slick styling inside and out.

The only model they have, though, is the non-turbo, automatic, FWD 2.4i. The handling wasnt too great with the gimp little tires, but the ride quality was awesome. Despite the seemingly meager 168hp in an automatic, the acceleration was better than I expected. Or at least the torque was.

One thing i noticed was when I'd be at under 10mph and kindof slowly brake to a stop, the car (and the one i rented before as well) makes STRANGE noises. Like as if the brake pads were on their last legs, and it had some kind of strange motorized or slushy type of sound as it came to a stop. Only noticeable with windows up, music off. This car only had 5k miles on it, so i doubt the brakes were in bad shape.

Any idea on the reliability of these? I'm thinking of getting a "near-luxury" sedan like this in about a year, and it is about $3-5k less than a similarly equipped 325i. A fully loaded 218hp T5 AWD costs less than the BASE 330i.

It's certainly no BMW, but well, nothing is really. But the styling is better than pretty much everything else in it's class. I'm still thorougly disturbed by the tail lights on the new 3 series. C-class is nice looking, but it's far from an enthusiasts car. And pretty much every 30k japanese sports sedan is PLAYED OUT like CRAZY..... Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. machine81

machine81 New Member

They're nice looking cars. Kinda bland styling, but it's more of a classic look. There are a LOT of them rolling around Seattle. I'm guessing it'll hold it's retail value pretty well. Seems like a steal compared to the Bimmer too.

3. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

The only one I have been in had a REALLY annoying sunroof rattle, and didn't seem very nice inside. It was a few years old and a 1.8T.

4. waspride

waspride Can't this wait till I'm old, can I live while I'm

The T5 can be made quite fast very easily.

I like it. :hs:

5. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

i tried the T5 non AWD and loved it.

I'd buy an AWD verison, V50 probably.. (never I'll buy a FWD car)

I love the design, and it's volvo... I owned a 1989 740 and made 650k km with it (yes, that's 650 000km!!!). my father has an S80 and they are very well built.

Did you notice how small the rear view side mirrors are? that surprised me a lot.

6. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

that's the old S40, and it's not AT ALL the same as this one. The onld one was a mitsubishi in disguise.. this one is new Volvo 9on a platform shared with the Mazda3 and the european focus.. but sharing almost zero component, even the front chassis is volvo specific for more safety)

7. red97gst

red97gst New Member

yeah i did notice the side mirrors were small. i kept just looking over my shoulder to change lanes, which i usually hate doing, and would be met with the huge C-pillars blocking the blind spot regardless. Seems like a LOT of new sedans have that short rear glass with wide C-pillars. And the high door sills.

8. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

Ah, didn't realize that the new ones are a completely new design. I had assumed that it was an evolutionary change as opposed to a revolutionary change.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

nope, completely different. I wouldn't touch a pre-MY04 S40 with a 10ft pole. The newer S40's, however, are sex on wheels.

My only complaint is the 6MT. The pedals are far too close together for my comfort. However, the 5AT drives extremely well.

I, too, however, would rather get the V50 T5. Volvo is one of the few FWD vehicles I like. I actually prefer Volvo FWD over their AWD models.

10. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I have an s60, although not the same car in the 2 years I have owned it the reliability has been excellent. The only thing thats gone wrong was one of the two gas struts on the boot lid (trunk for you) broke. It was replaced without question at next service.

The build quality, comfort & feel is unbeatable for the price imo. And I dont think i'd want to be in any other car should the worst happen.

11. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

I had my 1989 740 no airbag and I felt safer in there than on most current small cars. It has advanced materials for shock absorption, crunch zones, engine that slides under the car, etc.

Buying new I'd get an AWD because her ein Reno most mountian passes requires AWD or putting chains on.. which sucks.

12. DuncMan

DuncMan New Member

they are hot man, o and f'n bullet proof too, that tranny can go through any thing and come out poping (not the auto)