What do the Motorcyclists think of the...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RxZ, Mar 18, 2007.

1. RxZ

RxZ New Member

Kawasaki Ninja 650R?

This will be my first bike if I decide to get it, but I have been riding my father-in-laws for the past few months. I guess you could say the bug has bitten me :naughty: Anywho, he has a 2002 Kawasaki KLR250. Its a dual sport bike, but I have only ridden on the streets around his house on it (he has one of the first houses in a new subdivision, almost no traffic for a newb like me to contend with).

My reasons for wanting this bike are as follows: The 250, although fun to ride, I can tell will run out of power very quickly for me. I am getting pretty comfortable riding it and it already seems too slow for a motorcycle (I believe my Pontiac G6 acclerates about the same). Secondly, I do not want to buy a bike, then trade it in for something else a few months to a year later. I would rather learn and get comfortable with a bike, and then be able to enjoy it for many years to come. Third, bang-for-buck. From my research it looks like everyone thinks this is a great bike and that it is sold at a great price. Fouth, reliability. I have owned some kawasaki ATVs and have never had a problem with any of them. My understanding is that this should be no different with a bike so long as I take care of it. Finally, comfort. I am not too tall at 5'9" so I need a bike that I am both comfortable riding and comfortable at street lights or whatever waiting to go. On this bike I can pretty easily put both feet on the ground when I need to. Also, from sitting on it at the dealer it seems to have a very comfortable riding position. Some of my riding would be longer distances once I get more used to riding, so long distance comfort is a must.

I would appreciate it if I could get some feedback from some of you who have actually ridden/owned this bike. Most of the reviews I can find are from magazines and they only get one or two days with the bike. Some more real-world experience would be beneficial to me.

Also, I plan on taking any and all riding courses that I can find. Safety is #1 to me and my family and I to not want to leave my wife and daughter behind for some dumb mistake that I could have avoided. I have read that all wrecks with bikes are the motorcyclist's fault, and I take this advice to heart.

Now, since this is OT I will provide pics :big grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dj_madness

dj_madness New Member

Its a good bike, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one ;)

If you want to save money, get a used Sv650 or ninja500. Plenty of speed/fun from any of those.

The Ninja650r has one of the most undaunting riding positions. Very good for beginning riders.

3. FKY326

FKY326 New Member

its a nice bike, i sat on one at the ATL IMS was pretty comfy for a sporty bike. Will make a great sport touring bike too, kawi has a trunk rack for it as well so you can throw in enough clothes for a weekend trip if need be.

as the above poster said, you may want to look at the SV's as it is a cheaper alternative and a very capable bike. they are also very resaleable if you decide that this isn't a sport for you.

definatly take the MSF course. aside from the obvious stuff that it provides, almost every insurance agency will do 10% off your coverage if you have it.

4. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

def is a good starting bike, however the riding position is VERY unlike what any other sportbike has. handlebars are so high up you feel really disconnected from the sportiness

best recommendation is to follow the others' advice for the sv650.

5. Bugatti

Bugatti New Member

Personally I think it sucks. I had a ZX6 a long time ago. Not the R verison, more sport touring.. like this one.

I was very diapointed. Terrible brakes!

6. MeanFiddler

MeanFiddler The C.I.A. is Trying to Kill Me

I was going to sing its praises, since it looks and sounds very nice, but I can't in all honesty recommend Kawasaki after having an EX500 and seeing what the ZX6s are like.

7. bawlinmo

bawlinmo Neighborhood Graphic Designer

I worked with Kawasaki. Sold many, rode many. It all depends on what you want from your bike. Its not excessively fast, performance is decent. Brakes aren't like a sportsbike, but they are responsive. As you can see seating position is nothing like a sportbike. I ride a Kawasaki ZR7, kind of naked sports-touring. For my kind of riding, its perfect. Fast, but capable of long distances. Its comfortable, and still has enough kick to do a little wheelie action. If you have any specific questions, email me.

[email protected]

8. RxZ

RxZ New Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and feedback. Some of you have mentioned that it has a completly different seating position than the super-sport bikes; well, for me this is a plus. I am looking for a bike that is sporty, but has a comfortable riding position. I also looked at the SVs, but there is no price difference and nearly every recommendation I have received from other sources says the Ninja may be the better bike (although the SV does have much larger aftermarket support as of now). Also, I personally like the seating position a little better on the Kawasaki.

That said, I do realize that the SV is a great bike and has been since it came out (in '98 I think). My understanding is that the 650R came out last year to compete with the SV, and is doing a great job.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for the responses! Keep 'em coming!!!

9. V!

V! New Member

For long distance it's a good riding position, as long as you don't plan on getting too crazy with it, i think it's fine

10. deanh8

deanh8 New Member

get a ZZR600. Great bike!