What do I use to clean leatherette?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by addifan, Feb 14, 2002.

1. addifan

addifan Guest

There is a spot on my seats from something... I don't know what it is.

What should I clean my dash with?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Treat leatherette just like vinyl, because, basically, that is what it is. Without seeing the spot, I really can't say what the best course of action is. Dilluted Simple Green should take care of it, but test it first to make sure it doesn't change the color. Water and Woolite would probably also remove most stains.

A damp towel should be enough to clean the dash. If there is buildup, the use either on of the above products.

3. addifan

addifan Guest

Would Vinylex be safe to use on my seats?

4. Scottwax

If they are 'leatherette' then Vinylex is fine, but if they are real leather, then you should only use a true leather conditioner like Meguiars Gold Class for Leather, Lexol or Tanner's Preserves.

5. addifan

addifan Guest

Ya it's leatherette. If I use the woolite water solution. Is that going to ruin my seat? The reason I ask if in my seats I have all those little holes like some leather/leatherette seats have. I am afraid the water will ruin the heated seat.

6. Scottwax

As long as you don't drench the seats, you should be okay. After all, the people who designed the seats had to take into consideration the fact that people sweat, spill drinks in cars and open the doors during rain storms, so I would be pretty confident that the design of the heating system is at the very least somewhat water resistant. You may want to check with the dealer if that will ease your mind. Another alternative is to spray the cleaning solution on a towel first, then wipe it on the seats-but if the stains are bad, you may need to scrub with a brush to loosen the deposits.