what do I need to work on?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by LA02MAX, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Hey all, I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm a pretty small guy (6' 150 lbs.) which I really don't mind. My bodyfat is pretty low so I'm lean and I have pretty good muscle tone. But when it comes to my profile, I just look odd. I mean, I have an almost girl-like 'figure'. My waist is small, and my hips and shoulders are huge, so I just look out of proportion...

I run 3 miles every day, and every monday, wednesday, and friday I go to the gym and do a very light workout (free weights, some bench, and leg press). How do I make it so that my upper body looks a little more proportional? My arms and legs are a good size, but my midsection is just tiny...any suggestions? I think I just need a more even workout, but whenever I look anywhere for one, it's always how to get freaky huge, and that's not what I want...I just want to be a little more proportional while basically maintaining my size (a bit bigger would be nice..) Thanks for the help!

2. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Eat food, stop running, and lift heavy

3. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

wouldn't that make me gain a bunch of weight :dunno:

4. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

whats so bad about getting muscular?

5. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

you won't get freakishly huge unless you have more testosterone than a rampaging bull elephant

6. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Well number one, I don't eat that much as it is, and I like it that way because I'm a poor college student and can't afford that much food! :wtc: I wouldn't mind being a bit bigger, but I know I would need to eat a lot more to get there...I was just wondering if I could make myself a bit more 'even' looking

7. cochise

cochise OT Supporter

:hsugh:

pretty small eh?

8. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

What do you consider a good size? Cause at 6ft 150lbs thats VERY skinny if not sickly. Not trying to be a dick but I am picturing you as being a rail. Eating more won't make you HUGE and will help you get "proportioned." Read the stickies and post a picture as it will help us judge you... err help you.

9. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

:rofl: I don't look like one of those skinny little runts or anything like that, and I think I'm at a pretty healthy weight. Being a runner, my calves are pretty damn big...bigger than most of the people I know that is.

My biceps are 13". Yeah that's not that big but for my size I think it's pretty good, and like I said, they kinda make me look unproportional just becuase my upper body is kinda small.

Like I said, I don't eat very much anymore and I kinda like it like that. A usual day consists of either eggs or a muffin in the morning, a ham and swiss sandwich on whole grain bread (no mayo) and wheat thins for lunch, and a three course dinner (ie: rice, chicken, and a vegetable). It's really hard supporting myself right now as it is, so I don't think I can up that diet any time soon, which means I doubt I will be able to gain much weight :(

Oh and I don't have any pictures and no camera :sadwavey:

10. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

if you want to look more proportional (bigger mid-section or whatever), you're going to have to gain some muscle... my first inclination would be to say that you probably want some more muscle in your upper back :dunno:

lift heavy and start a regular routine (upper/lower or bodypart split). try to work in some more protein in your diet... whey protein is fairly cheap and a good way to get more protein in without adding a ton of calories

11. zyg0te

If money is really that tight for food, why are you burning up so much energy running ~20 miles a week? Are you conditioning for something?

12. zyg0te

oh, and instant oatmeal = cheap... 4500 calories (30 servings at 150cal) for 2 bucks. (its a whole lot more if u make it with milk too)

13. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

probably anal about getting fat :dunno:

14. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

:werd:
    i'm 4 inches shorter and 30 lbs. heavier :rofl:

15. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

I'm a college student and had your build. I'm 6'1" and used to be 145 lbs. Started eating more and now I'm at 170 lbs and look good. Hungry man TV dinners FTW.

16. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

just pick a plan and stick to it. you wont get huge i promise you.

17. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

No, I actually run becuase I like how I feel energized after doing all that cardio. Besides building up my calves, I don't think it's done anything for my body...

Good suggestion, I'll look into that

You mind me asking how long it took you to get there, and what else you did besides increasing your diet? thanks!

Alright, so anyone else have some good suggestions for cheap calories? I eat a lot of chicken, rice, and eggs because I know they have protein, and I also drink about a gallon of milk per 5 days or so. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  18. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

oatmeal's pretty good for cheap calories... protein powder's good, too

19. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

doesn't that stuff have a pretty good amount of sodium in it?

20. zyg0te

Pasta Roni is a pretty cheap source of calories too. Right now I'm making shells and white cheddar :yummy:.

including the 2/3 cup of milk you add in..
    870cal
    ~25g protein

I usually pick up a few boxes every time i go to safeway (they're always on sale for a dollar).

21. zyg0te

yeah about 1900mg :hs:

22. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

I started at 145 too. Now im 180, but i still look like a little shit stick. Even having a waist udner 30". you should aim for 240 longterm, thats a decent weight for our height.

23. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Yeah I eat either a box of that, rice-a-roni, or just plain rice or pasta for dinner...

240 is freaking insane! You have to be really dedicated to get to a weight like that...i was thinking more like 170-180...

Is is stupid of me to be burning a bunch of calories right now running? I really like to run and I'd feel pretty groggy if I stopped :sad2:

24. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Nah man at our weight 240 is nothing unimaginable. I would think you would have to be at least 200 to not be skinny at our weight, but shoot for 180 if you want. Youll keep going though, beleive me. Once you get there you'll see its not enough and set new goals :) As far as everything else, do what the people suggested, and get a solid program based around the big 3 lifts, and eat well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.