What do I need to buy? v. TV -> computer monitor question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Nov 4, 2008.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Okay ya'll...here the situation

I have a direct tv box in my office. I want to have this direct tv signal output onto my computer monitor. I want the footage to go through the computer in case I ever want to capture a tv show or something.

What do I need to buy and what's the cheapest way to do this?

The monitor has an input of either VGA or DVI.

The direct tv box has an output of either coaxial, RCA (red, yellow, white), or S-video.

cliffs: i need video transferred from my direct tv box to my computer monitor via a computer hookup. what do i need?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

you are stating two different needs from what i can tell, notably this:

"I want the footage to go through the computer in case I ever want to capture a tv show or something"

You need a tv capture card. hooking up the direct tv box directly to your monitor won't do a thing when you need to capture the show to your computer.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

agreed.

you found my hole in the solution.

i assume a tv capture card would solve both of my problems.

I would not mind if there was an ability to just hook up the direct tv box to the monitor without computer interuption either. the recording of tv is only a feature that I would not mind having, however it is not a requirement.

did that answer your question?

4. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

If you get the capture card it will display on your monitor as well as have the ability to record the video off of it. If you just want to hook the box to the monitor, I believe there is a cable that converts VGA to RCA but you wouldn't be able to record anything. Check monoprice for the VGA to RCA cable if that's the route you want to take.

5. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Make sure you get an audio cable as well, I have one of my 360s connected to my computer for sound and then right into my monitor to view. They make an RCA (Red/white) - 3.5mm headphone cable which is what I'm using for audio, it was like 7 bucks at Radio Shack and a HDMI-DVI cable for the monitor which was 10 bucks shipped from monoprice.

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

A tv capture card is what your looking for.

Be carefull and read all the reviews on newegg.com before buying. There are many things to look out for. Number 1 is heat.

Depending on your case you might be limited. If you have a full case you have many options though. If not, and you have a small comp. case, then you can look into the HDHomerun. It doesn't connect to the computer but rather to your router.

Good luck.

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

ATi's TV Wonder (or All-In-Wonder, if you don't have room for separate TV and video cards) is pretty much your best bet for a reliable TV tuner. I've never had anything by Pinnacle work properly.