GUN What do I need to build a Mag85 or 74?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Clusive, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Or 57? Can someone give me a list and instructions? Maybe make an EDU?

Actually, what is the difference between the designations? Just more lumens? I don't really need that much; 4-500 would be enough. TIA.

2. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Here's the rundown of a basic Mag85 and Mag74. You can also build them with different bulb holders/battery holders, etc. Here's what I'd recommend at a minimum.
    Mag 85:
    1185 bulb
    3D Mag host
    Kiu Bi-pin bulb socket
    Aluminum reflector (finish of your choice)
    Borofloat lens
    Modamag or Fivemega battery holders (FM's are much nicer)
    9 x NiMH AA's your prefer. Sanyo's are great, although the new Enloops with low sef discharge look good.

Mag 74:
    1274 bulb
    Mag 2D host
    Kiu Socket
    Aluminum reflector (finish of your choice)
    Borofloat lens
    Modamag battery holder (FM doesn't make one)
    7X AA cells and one dummy. But high capacity cells won't fit in and unbored host. Rayovac 1800's fit perfectly if you can find them, as will CBP 1650's. Not sure of Enloops or Titanium Enduro's.

If you want the either to be more reliable with no problems of instaflash pickup a Hotdriver from AWR. My hotdriver/Mag74 is my favorite light now, even to my mag138.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

4. 2L Bunny

That lightedge is a good turnkey approach if you don't want to get parts from all over. But I would recommend going to a Kiu socket over using a potted bulbs, as the stock Mag bulb holder has a LOT of resistance in it, which means much less light.

Well here's some rought numbers of lumens that are out the front, not bulb lumens which are higher.
    Mag 74: 700
    Mag 85: 900
    Mag138: 2800 :-D

Oh, stock 3D maglite w/ fresh batteries: 40 lumens
    Surefire E2E,E2D: 65 lumens

5. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

6. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Thanks for the info. What's the difference between a smooth, stippled and orange peel finish? How does it effect the light output?

7. 2L Bunny

Um, that *IS* a Mag85, just with a clever marketing name. 1050 lumens seems kinda high for out the front output, but in this league of output you can't tell by eye a range or 150+ lumens either way.

8. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I saw this tread and tought i was on CPF. I've got an ROP mag, and am going to build a mag85 when I get a chance.

9. 2L Bunny

Yup, I was supprised to see this post here too. If all goes well I get to bring 2 of my hobbies together htis afternoon and trade a couple magmods plus $ for Kahr PM9 :wiggle: Don't worry I'll still have several hotwires and plenty of other lights

10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

i've got a mag85, and the supplies to build another, just need to get around to it... hardest things to find are the reflectors, and battery carriers.

anyone have a good recomendation for a battery that has low self discharge, but will run a mag 85 for oh, 30 mins? I've got the energizer 2500mah, which run the mag85 good, and the light output is good, but i have to charge them all with a day, if i want to run it. it's the biggest reason i don't use my mag 85 that much.

11. 2L Bunny

I'm not sure on runtimes but I plan to switch my Mag74 over to either Sanyo Enloop's or Titanium Enduro's to loose most of the self discharge issues.

BTW, I traded off my Mag85 and 2D Trilux today towards a Kahr PM9, no worries tho, I still have my Mag74, Mag138 and ROP low LE