SRS What do I do? v. living situations

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FyreDaug, Feb 21, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

So some of you know im in the middle of moving and my landlord was trying to screw me around, but now Ive got a new situation..

so first a little background. Been living here 9months, paying cheap rent (350/month) and sharing a big house with 5 other people. My landlord is a dick and hes been saying that ive been stealing money from him. Because the rent money comes to me and I pay the bills. Heat and power most importantly, averaging 130/month and 170/month rrespectively. Bills have been backed up for a while and I recently paid them all off last month with a little extra out of my pocket. Right now Im owed $235 for extras Ive spent on bills, and things the landlord (John) has broken of mine to be replaced like a wireless kb/mouse for my computer and things like that that cost money.... Anyways, the amount of money ive collected for this month will be JUST enough to cover all the bills with a possibility of a little left over. But thats only if I get the money from one roommate, whos paying 250 for a room. He hasnt paid at all for feb, and my best friend owes me 100 bucks (not worried about this one, hes good for his money eventually.)

So right now im sitting in a bit of a predicament because I get my apartment on friday so I cant move any of my shit before that. Last night john banged on my door at 3am with his buddy saying im stealing money and he wants copies of every bill and that im responsible for the garage door (which doesnt close when its cold) the roof (a chair hit it when we were movign and dented it) and any holes in the wall are MY responsibility because technically Im the only one who signed the lease.

None of us put any damage deposit down so its not like he can hold money, but just to be safe I got my gf to start moving my shit out of there and taking it to her parents (and im doing the same when I get off work here in a couple hours) and get as much stuff out of that house as possible tonight.

John is making it out to sound like ive been taking the rent money and spending it myself... which I havent, infact I have NEVER been able to zero out the bills because I havent had enough to cover it all... another piece of BG information is he moved this whore into his room for when he wasnt around and she racked up the phone bill big time for 3 months, I mean like 600$ bills, which came out of the rent, so add 600$ onto the heat/power/water and you can see where im coming from saying that I end up paying extra out of my pocket to try to zero it. Which is fine I didnt have much of a problem with it, but now that im moving out I need all the rent money in order to pay off all the bills and not be owing anything to the house when I leave, because Ive got to start over with the apartment for power, rent and damage deposit (2 of which Ive taken care of already) and its been really expensive.

Now the important thing, he knows im pissed but he thinks I owe him money.. I think he honestly thinks that, and I might not have enough to cover the bills and I KNOW for a fact that he wont hand me cash for the difference. Theres a couple things of his that in the house ive had my eye on, a boombox JVC stereo and a 27" TV, that I figure would be worth about 250 combined if I were to sell it to make up for any losses, but hes probably gonna know it was me if I take anything and come after me, so I dont WANT to take anything from the house, but survival of the fittest right?

I dont know what to do, I had a parts car sitting on his driveway and the fire marshall came by and got all pissed off and gave us crap for having it there in the first place. So he looked around the place and since john is a slob theres mess in alot of spots, especially yard work that never got done, so the fire marshall sent the city a bill and they came and cleaned it up... it adds like 200 bucks to his property tax or something, and he says im responsible for that too. Plus I left a couple oil stains before, not that big of a deal or that big of a spot but he says any oil I have to clean up and pay for it. And my buddy leaked oil all over the place IN my spot and hes saying ive gotta clean it all up....

cliffs, landlord is a dick, owes me money, claims im stealing from him (which im not) and im barely gonna be able to collect enough rent money to pay off the bills before I move friday. im afraid of leaving my stuff there so I moved most of it so he doesnt take it.

2. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

At least you're almost out of there :dunno: You're almost over the hill, you might lose some things along the way, but hell it's probably worth it anyway.

3. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Should I take stereo and tv to try to get some cash back? Or take em and use em?

Someone needs to act as my concience

4. AQT4u2NV

AQT4u2NV Guest

They arent yours, don't take them

5. johan

johan Active Member

So if you start taking goods, their claims that you were stealing go from hearsay to FACT. You sure you want to give them that kind of ammo to use on you?

Kinda hard to claim the moral high ground if your hands are dirty too.

Sure you can say that you're helping yourself to "compensation" but we both know that sort of flimsy excuse doesn't hold up.

I'm not saying it might not be better to take matters upon yourself to fix -- your way -- I'm just saying to decide now whether you're going up the high road, or the low road.

You can reach the destination all the same. Low road might be faster, quicker, but...shittier in the end.
    Keep in mind people have long memories and as you get older...you realize it's a pretty small world out there.

6. beefarinos

beefarinos New Member

Do you really want the fuck around with all that drama after you move out?

If you didn't damage the garage door, then it's his responsibility under maintaining the house. Same with the $200 added to his property tax, it's his property you aren't required to pay for his crappy management of it. Unless he told you to move the car.

I don't quite understand the bill situation. Are the bills in your name or the landlords? If the bills are in your name, and the lease is in your name, then you need to collect the money pay the bills & rent and get out. Don't worry about getting back money for your broken stuff, and don't worry about paying for the garage door or ceiling.

If the bill are in the landlords name, and he was having you take care of something he should have been responsible for, then you need to give him the bills & money and leave. Let him figure it out, it's his responsibility.

You don't want the fucking drama of this dumbass. Take it as a leasson and move on. I know I personally have better things to do with my time than spend several months in a petty squabble. I mean unless he plans to take this to small claims court, it's not like he can make you do shit. Most likely it's going to be a bunch of idle threats and attempted bullying. Just stand your ground and don't give into the drama...sooner or later he will get bored with it and move on.

7. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

I am confused. Is your landlord also your roomate? Why are you the one paying bills and collecting rent? That is very odd

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yes the bills are in my name, the heat and power anyways. Reason being the old roommates fucked with him and DID steal money and racked the bills up to like 1800 each over winter (where they cant legally cancel it, just add to the amount) and he hasnt paid it off. And when we moved in, they just cut it off from his name and he was up in the mines so the only way to get it set up and actually live there was to have it in my name. It was a group of people I thought I trusted, but I shouldntve

9. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

OK, that changes everything.

First of all, no matter what you do, DONT STEAL from the house. That will make you the guilty one and you wont have a foot to stand on if he decides to take action.

Second of all, who is on your lease? If he is living in the unit and renting it out to you, that esentially means that he is renting it out by the room, making it a rooming house. Codes for rooming houses are VERY stringent, so odds are he is doing it illegally. Also, I don't know about your state, but I know in my state, it is illegal for a tenant to pay the water bill, and him having you pay the water bill would be grounds for you withholding rent in massachussetts. You need to go to your states website and look up tenant rights, because he is most certainly violating some of yours.

What I would do if I were you is move out right now. If he is going to be vindictive and banging down your door drunk and acting generally untrustworthy and sketchy, I would get out ASAP. I would move my stuff into your girlfriend, parents, etc houses and stay somewhere else until you get your apartment. Also, if the apartment you are moving into is currently vacant, you should talk to the owner and see if they will let you move in a little early (most owners will let you do this for a fee). And the absolute key: as soon as you are out the door, you need to have the cable, water, electricity, etc shut off and out of your name immediately.

10. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

tell this john guy to fuck off. he sounds like an asshole. next time he comes to the door say "look I'm out of here soon so dont try and cause trouble or i'll just screw you over, I dont need to live here anymore so i'm not going to try to impress you, i'll get the money soon and its not professional comming to my door at 3am".

11. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Yeah its all done illegally, so I dont think he has any fighting chance in a court to say that we havent paid our rent or anything. Plus I think the max roommates is 5, we have 6.