SRS What do i do about a depressed friend

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by seven, Jan 12, 2007.

1. seven

seven New Member

I overheard one of my buddies talking on the phone, apparently he's been really depressed for a while now. He's been going to counseling and stuff too. I had no idea; i live in the same house as him too.

Things with him and his girl are going well, they have a long distance relationship, so it's hard on him. But other then this i don’t know why he's depressed, and I’m not sure what to do about it.

Some of the other roommate thought he didn’t like us b/c all he does is go to work/school, then stay in his room. He stopped going out as much and what not.

2. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

In-com-plete....

I think his girlfriend fills a hole inside him that should have been filled before he got into the relationship, and now that she is not there, there is a part of him missing.

And, maybe he thinks things are going downhill.

Its not good. Nothing you can really do but get her to come back or get him to go with her. Unless you want to try some pychological strength training with him.

3. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

This might sound gay but ask him out to dinner. Sit with him and try to find otu whats wrong. Just be like, "I see that you haven't been yourself lately" let him know that your there for him and he can talk to you!

4. seven

seven New Member

it's wired, but they have never actually had anything but a long distance relationship. :eek3:

she IMed him 2 years after HS was over, and they just started talking, her dad's a pilot for delta, so usually they meet like once a month. he's looking for a ring, so i think they're set. i don't think this is the root of his depression.

i'm not suppose to know he's having these problem, i should have never heard his phone call. i can't just bring it up.

that's a good idea. i think once the semester starts and things settle down i might have to do that. he did really bad in his grades last semester b/c of this depression i think, and he has to graduate this semester.

5. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

You need to sit and try to get him to open up to you.

If you have to tell him something about yourself so he knows that you can trust him and then he will probably do the same.