What do F1 cars top out at?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by JazzHound, Nov 8, 2001.

1. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Some of the straights are wicked long and these cars should be topping over 200mph methinks. I Know for Cart they've topped out around 230mph and 250 with drafting.

I recently bought F1 2001 for the PS2 and it seems to top out at 185 with drafting I barely reach 190mph but no more. Electronic Arts mantra is "if it's in the game, its in the game" so I'm wondering how true that is.

Btw, the game rockz. The sounds is abit generic since they all sound the same wether it's Williams or Ferrari or McLaren.. but it's still a fun game.

Thanks in advance.. let me know.

2. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

Well, the BIGGEST thing with the top speed of a modern Formula-1 car is gearing and wing settings.

For instance, at Hockenheim, David Coulthard holds the speed trap record of 226-227 mph. But at Monte Carlo, the top speed is barely 175 in qualifying.

Is been said if configured right, the McLaren Mercedes GP car could go 240-250 mph around the Indy oval. On the long straight at Spa-Francochamps, Juan Pablo Montoya was hitting in excess of 210 mph before braking in his Williams-BMW.

Getting into the gearing part. You can have the highet HP engine in the world, but it wont do you a bit of good if you have bad gearing in it.

Gear ratio's and final drive ratios help determine the top end speed of a car, but they also determine how much true acceleration a car will have. The two terms are "Short" and "long" gears.

A transmission with "Short" gears will have very high acceleration, but will not have good top end speed. A transmission with "Long" gears will have very high top speed, but will not have good accelration. So a compromise must be reached, amount of acceleration out of a turn versus true top end speed in the straights.

The second part is wing configuration. Again looking at Hockenheim's top speed versus Monte Carlo, you'll notice a big difference in the cars, their wing-setup.

Hockenheim is basically long straights broken up by a couple of chicanes. Cars spend most of the lap at full throttle. So the cars require very little downforce, hence they need less wing.

At Monte, the opposite is true. The tight, twisty nature of the course means cars need as much wing as possible, sometimes even more. So teams fit the cars with as much wing as possible to create maximum downforce.

But, downforce creates drag, so they sacrifce top end speed for downforce at Monte. Just like they sacrifice downforce for speed at Hockenheim.

So if your car is only doing 185-190, I'm gonna guess you have something wrong with the set-up of the car. Try adjusting the amount of wing of the car and the gear ratio (dont know if possible on that game).

And keep it on the track!

3. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

:bowdown: Thanks for the write up !

I don't know which is Hokkenine but I thnk it's the one that's almost like a rectangle very long straights with slight rises and dips througout the course.

It's really scary to think that the McLaren F1 reached 243mph with only 627hp (yes I read that part about hp not factoring much, less the gearing is correct). Based on the specs of the car, it's quite impressive. 0-60 in 3.2 that can't be far off from the number the competition F1 open wheer cars do.

Thanks for the write up. :bigthumbs:

4. Guido The Penguin

A typical F-1 car can do 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

To me the funniest was when they had a Jordan-Honda 'race' two other sports cars to a 0-100-0 contest. The Jordan went from 0 to 100 and back to 0 in under 8 seconds. Faster than the other cars could even reach 100.

But then for a true test of the performance of an F-1 car, watch this.

http://www.mclaren.co.uk/mclaren/toybox/video/mpeg/comparison.MPG

5. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

No doubt where the F1 really shines is the breaking even their breaking distance would dwarf CART's #'s so it's no surprise they were able to do it in 8 seconds. I'd imagine getting 0-100 would only take about 5 seconds, no more.

I've seen the video before, it's a 10 on the amusement scale but it's any but fair. Well, maybe it's just there to illustrate one of F1's better traits - handling. Cool video.. heh, I'd really like to see the comparison between CART and F1 on a full coarse lap, that would be worth the price of admission.

6. CFster

CFster Guest

"I'd really like to see the comparison between CART and F1 on a full coarse lap, that would be worth the price of admission."

The CART car would get spanked.

Doesn't matter anyway, CART will probably be gone after next season anyway...

7. Guido The Penguin

Yeah, thats probably why the IRL is considering adding road courses to its schedule in a couple of years, they smell blood from the CART bunch.

I'm sure the fact Mo Nunn's and Team Penske's defections from CART to IRL didn't help much either.

8. CFster

CFster Guest

A damned shame. The last of the turbo era cars.

9. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

And what a damn great era it was...

Damn do i ever miss GTP racing. :(

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

im more of an IRL fan my self but i love watching them but i must confess im a nascar fan but my intrest is sliping in nascar

11. CFster

CFster Guest

IRL fan? Didn't know there were any of those...

12. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Come on, hes a NASCAR fan too...hes probibly also a fan of grass growing.

Thank God for the FIA GT, ALMS, AUSV8, WRC, JGTC, and F1.
    Trans Am is about the only true "american" auto racing i can stand to watch anymore.

NASCAR was officially dead for me after Dale died.
    And then the rigged Dale Jr./DEI soapopera that palyed out after it, then the stupid rule exceptions for dodge and ford, but not for pontiac, their rediculas marketing, and how they pass it off as a southern hick sport that you can only be a part of, or comentate for, if you yell at the top of your lungs, chew a fat wad of chaw, talk with a phoney southern drawl, and have an IQ smaller then number of lugnuts on each wheel. Fuck NASCAR!

For me there is no better racing anywhere in the world then in the WRC. Real drivers, real roads, real fast. It doesnt get much better then that.

13. Guido The Penguin

I'd throw in the Speedvision GT and TC championships, not to mention the SCCA Pro Rally and Nationals (SCCA Runoffs).

:bigthumb:

14. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i agree nascar sucks now im quickly losing intrest
    i am also a fan of sodaa baja mx quad racing sportbiek racing hell if grass had wheels and a motor id watch it to i liek IRl better becasue ive grown up on ovals

15. CFster

CFster Guest

I think I'm getting a headache...

16. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

17. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

wtf bump

18. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

:naughty:

Just getting my groove on.

:boink:

19. Guido The Penguin

holy resurrecting a 5 year old thread batman!

20. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

It's just like wine.

:cool: