What did I do to my calf?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Limp_Brisket, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

So I did calves for the first time in awhile, I usually do them once a week but I hadn't done them for a few weeks. I decided to do some heavy seated calf raises and then I did some very high rep standing calf raises (like 3 sets of 30, 40, 50). So they were fine for the next 2 days, just sore as could be expected.

then I decided to rub them down a bit to get the lactic acid out and help them recover and my right calf turned completely stiff after that. I can't completely straighten my right leg. I can't walk on it right and I even got some slight bruising at the top of my calf. It's starting to get a little better but if I sit down for awhile and then stand up it's completely stiff again. I'm walking with a limp and everything, it's ridiculous.

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

You got a charlie horse in your calf. Sometimes it happens in the middle of the night and you wake up in pain. It sucks. To release it, flex your foot to lengthen your calf (so try to touch your toes to your knees by pulling back).

I've had it happen to the bottom of my foot before, too, where my toes get locked down in a curled up position. To release it I have to reach down and physically pull my toes back up. It's quite painful. It sucks.

3. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

nah i've got those before. that's more temporary, i've had this for the last few days. and I can pull my toes all the way up on my right calf (although it definately feels tight) but I can't straight my leg, it feels as if my hammy is pulling on it.

plus I don't think a charlie horse would cause bruising.

4. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

i'v had that happen like a couple months back. I did like 6 sets of standing raises + seated raises. I couldnt wakl straight for the next 3 weeks. I had to walk on my tippy toes and whenever i tried stretching my calves out it felt like it was torn. When i tried massaging it the pain was even worse. I went to the acupuncture and he gave a couple of needles and did some electro therapy and started shcoking my calf muscles. He told me that it was a tear but without an mri he wasnt sure what lvl it was. Eventually it healed and after about a month or so with light training i decided to do some standing raises (like 2 sets) and the very next day i felt the exact same pain. Prabably never do those again.
    \
    THe pain was in the upper region of the calf muscle.. like where the hams meet the calves. So i just stick with seated calf raises.

5. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

that's exactly what it is, i have to walk on my toes on that leg! I don't know if it's as serious as what you're describing though.

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Looks like I was wrong. That sounds much worse than a Charlie Horse. I hope you're ok, man.

7. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

it was on both my calves. i couldnt take a normal step without limping. The muscle itself was very tender and with the slightest pressure it gave me pain.

8. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

• Grade 1 Calf Strain : The muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibers. Full recovery takes approximately two weeks.
    • Grade 2 Calf Strain : There is partial tearing of muscle fibers. Full recovery takes approximately 5-8 weeks.
    • Grade 3 Calf Strain : This is the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibers in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in some instances, surgery may be needed.
    • Tenderness and/or bruising directly over the calf muscles
    • Pain when contracting the calf muscles, particularly against resistance

9. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

ahh good call, i probably have that grade 1 calf strain. guess i'll just have to give it a rest for two weeks.

10. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

I did something similiar to my calves and limped for 3 weeks. It just wouldn't seem to heal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.