MIL What Degrees Does The Air Force Accept?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by flipflop, Jan 7, 2008.

1. flipflop

flipflop flippity flop flippity flop

I'm AF enlisted just always wanted to know which degrees they accepted for commission. I always ask people I work with but i get mixed answers from any degree to science related degrees only. Anyone? :wiggle:

2. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Depends what you want to do... you can have a degree in underwater basket weaving, but its not going to get you picked up to be an engineer.

Starting a few years ago it became harder to commission without a technical degree, but not impossible.

tech = any Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Meteorology, and Architecture.

3. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

its not harder to commision with out a tech degree, you will find most Rated officers dont have tech degree's. Most jobs as an officer dont require tech degrees including Pilot and Navigator.

4. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

any degree that is regionally accredited.

5. ManinCamo

I PROMISE you that when I was going through it was most definitely harder to get picked up if you did not have a tech degree. It didn't used to be that way, and it may be less so now, but starting in 2003 they clamped down hard.

But yea -- most pilots will have a B.S. in history or poly sci. It is true that you don't need a tech degree to be an officer, however the fields they were picking up in when I went through were technical fields that did require it. I don't have a tech degree and I don't need one, but I'm not an engineer or medical person.

6. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

Yep I have a Poly Sci degree with a history minor and im an Officer

7. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

according to the ROTC commander this fall when he visited our det, they are going to just barely make their numbers for the next two to three years. They've actually dropped the express scholarship program for now because the air force doesn't have the need for technical degrees that they thought they did.

8. flipflop

flipflop flippity flop flippity flop

I was just wondering because i got accepted to Univ. of Hawaii (during high school) and instead went enlisted for the GI Bill. I just plan to get out after my 4 years, go to school then come back in and from what i hear people who have been enlisted for 4 years and come back as commissioned get paid more than regular officers!?

9. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

you get O-1E pay which only lasts through captain so once everbody hits major its all even. and its based on TIS, O-1E with 4 yrs is about 600 more a month 3215 compared to 2555

10. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

The prior-enlisted to officer starts with O-1E pay. That will depend on how long that person was enlisted prior to going to OTS. From what I've seen on the pay table O-1E pay with 4 yrs of service under his/her belt is the equivalent of an O-1 with the same amount of time in service.

O-1 w/ less than 2 years in = $2543.40/month
    O-1 with 4 years in = $3199.80/month
    O-1E with 4 years in = $3199.80/month

Its not really more pay than a person going straight into the officer program...because you spent your first 4 years making enlisted pay. Also at the 4yr mark there is a good chance you'll be a Captain. If you were prior enlisted you start at the bottom of the officer food chain losing even more money than you could have made.

There are programs that will allow an enlisted member to separate from the military to complete their last 2 years of school with active duty pay. I don't know the details, but I'm sure someone in here could chime in.

Why not just go into the Air Force Academy?

11. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

He could be a 33S

12. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

is that space and missles?

13. ManinCamo

33S is communications & information officer

Its probably just a jab... but it really is unfortunate that they throw folks into the field without any comm background. While a good officer can overcome it with additional training and self education, there are many who just suck because of it.

"I majored in general studies... and now I'm in charge of computer stuff, yay!" :ugh:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  14. R-San-Ni

R-San-Ni New Member

But how many O-1's do you know that have been in for more than 2 years if they were not prior enlisted or went through the Academy? Being demoted doesnt count. By the time they hit 4 they should be a captain. In the end, being prior service is beneficial for a few reasons. In the maintenance world, you'll get more respect from the guys turning wrenches, ultimately you'll get more pay from 1Lt throught Cpt, and you get a few years to know what its like to be on the enlisted end, which may in fact help you to be a better leader.

And you are referring to Operation Bootstrap. There's a package you need to fill out and have routed for approval. That'll put you from ADAF to full time college collecting SSgt (E-5) pay while you finish off your degree, then you go straight to OTS.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  15. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

ah the bastards that make you constantly change your password.

of all the people I've talked to, none of them make comm sound interesting.

16. ManinCamo

I get to... kill people with alien technology while surfing an unrestricted internet and making 100k/year through hacks.

ok, i lied. :wtc: I'm not even doing Comm stuff in my current job.

17. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I'm sure you know that there are plenty of crappy NCOs that become even crappier Prior-E officers. Being Prior-E doesn't predispose anyone into being a better leader. Either you are or you aren't. I also wouldn't suggest that EVERY maintenance person respects a Prior-E officer. That might be the way it is in your house, but I wouldn't believe that here.

Also at 4 years I'd assume an officer straight from school would be an O-3, while the enlisted after 4 years would be an O-1E. In terms of pay in those 4 years that officer has been making a minimum of +$600/month over an enlisted person with the same amount of TIS. You and I both know the O ranks get +$800/month each time they are promoted while the enlisted gets about $200-$300/month. At the 4yr mark the O-3 still makes $1200 more than an O-1E.

I don't know the name of the program, but I do know it isn't an automatic thing. You still have to be selected for the program. I'm building up my package now, but by the time my enlistment ends in 2010 I may not even want it anymore. Being an officer doesn't mean shit if you are surrounded by fools that don't care to know their job.

18. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

at least you might get to fight in cyberspace one day. do you think they give the guys out there a reset button?

I got to talk to a very money smart 2nd LT at our last career fair. he was pretty much fresh out of ASBC, but he did impart some good wisdom that didn't fall upon the right ears. I'm sure you're well aware of the 25k load from the USAA. He said not to spend it on a car or anything else but to invest it and pay off high interest loans. Too bad the jackass that bought a G35 and an iPhone didn't hear it.

What all is there to do in Comm, and what are you doing now? you probably mentioned it once and forgot. I do remember the young LT talking about playing with a bobcat. the construction toy, not the four legged permanently pissed off cat.