What could this be? Turbo 2.2L runs with wires hooked up backwards!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Sorny, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Sorny

Sorny New Member

I got a free 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z (turbo intercooled 2.2L) from my brother a couple of weeks ago. He had some guy rebuild it that shouldn't even be allowed to change the oil. He got a new block, new crank, and rebuilt the rest. Then said it didn't run right so he needed a new/rebuilt turbo (another $500). My brother got the car back and it ran awful. Black smoke everywhere, back firing, 10mpg and the turbo wouldn't spool up. Well, he got tired of it and parked it and that was about 2-3 years ago. I start looking at it, thinking the timing might be off or the vacuum hoses are completely screwed up. I noticed that the firing order should be 1-3-4-2 according to my Haynes manual. Instead, the #1 port on the cap was going to the #2 cylinder, #3 to #1, #2 to #4, #4 to #3. It may not have been exactly that order, but I do know that it was COMPLETELY wrong. I switched it back to the right way (going by the book and what I've found online) and it wouldn't even start at all. At least before it'd start and stumble around.
    Could it be so badly out of time that it will run when the wires are completely wrong or what else could it be?
    I appreciate any help.. I'm pulling my hair out over this car.

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

holy hell you get teh intranetz in Oneida?! anyways, PM pimpadee and tell him that i told you to, he may be able to help. (just send him a link to this thread) he's a friend of mine and used to have one of those cars.

3. Sorny

Sorny New Member

LOL

Yeah, we got it. Just got DSL offered around here (256K) just like 2 years ago or less. I've been on dialup here since like 1995, one of the first people with it.

Anyways, I need to get a subscription again because I can't PM :(

4. boujo

boujo I'm Smarter Then You

if the guy was that much of an idiot who says he could even find top dead center

5. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Well, that's what I'm wondering. Guess I need to completely re-time it, like it had never been done before and see.