What could have happened to my DELL Laptop Monitor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mikedonn187, Mar 1, 2005.

1. mikedonn187

mikedonn187 Guest

Recently My Dell Inspirion 8200 monitor stopped working, i can barely see anything, I rigged it to an external monitor. My warranty expired of course. I was told it could be the Video card or the lcd? Anybody know about this prob?

Thanks

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

On my older Dell laptop (Dimension something lol) The monitor was very dark/sketchy when my video card cable came loose from the monitor cable (they are VERY thin cables...not sure what they are called). I'd pop it open and see if they have become somewhat disconnected over time.

Also...your backlight might have blown on your screen...if it's very dim and hard to read. If that happened that will be alot of $$$$, specially with no warranty. Might look on eBay for replacement Dell LCD.

If your video card had an actual display problem it would probably NO screen at all. Unless its an overheating issue and its slowly dying and messing up your gfx. There should be physical evidence of overheating/melting/frying on the video card. But if its that hot i thnik you would know.

3. mikedonn187

mikedonn187 Guest

Thank you. Yea it is extremly dim and hard to read so it sounds like my lcd went. im prob gonna just bid on ebay. thanks

4. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Do this first. Unplug the laptop and pull out the battery. Carefully pry off the bezel above the keyboard. Unscrew your keyboard and find the monitor cable. Pull it out, make sure there isn't any dust in the area. Put it back in. Check to see if it lights up now. The backlight on my inspiron 5100 would intermittetly not turn on. I did this and it comes on all the time now.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

yah thats's what i was meaning. mine came undone 1/2 way as well and the screen would sometimes not come on. but this fixed i for me.